The next sections of Netherton to be tackled were all the windows and the roof. There are quite a few windows on this property and as mentioned in a previous post they all had these little overhangs on either side that I didn't like so they got cut off. The astragals were painted, sanded and painted again in white and the edging trim was given the same stone coating as the body of the house.
I wanted to put "metal" grilles on the windows and ordinarily I would have added the black decorative trim that can be cut and fitted and that would be it but having been inspired by Linda Carswell's Petite Folie weathered railings, I decided to have a go at this technique. This turned out to be a simple task using emulsion paint and a sponge.
Not weathered...............
Weathered.
It makes a difference, doesn't it? The whole effect looks a bit softer, I think. Thank you for that, Linda.
I used two styles of "railings", larger ones as above on the main house windows and smaller ones in the service area in the basement and also on the attic windows.
The next alteration I made was to the attic windows. There are five windows up there and originally they fitted flat against the roof but I wasn't so keen on that look so I decided to turn them into dormers.
This was done using foamboard. I cut a template initially just to get the correct angles. They were then all fitted into place and painted with the stone coating
I also added some lead to the flat tops of the windows, down either side and under the roof tiles.
Finally I tackled the roof. It's a pretty large roof and I certainly didn't want any added extra weight (or cost) by using real slate so I opted for card tiles from Peter Clark These tiles are really easy to work with. They have a shaded finish on one side of A4 card and are marked out in roof tile sizes on the reverse, easily cut with a sharp craft knife and fixed on with pva. The tricky bit was getting the sides to line up so that the tiles ran straight across and round the other side.
A strip of lead along the top to finish off and the roof was done. I didn't put any particular finish on the very top of the roof (I have to stand on a stool to reach that), just a couple of coats of matching grey paint.








You've made a fantastic job of the tiling! So neat.
ReplyDeleteReally like the dormer's too, they look like they came that way. You'd never tell they were foamcore. I've filed away the tip about weathering railings, 'Up here' *taps temple* :D
Beautiful progress! I love the roof and the weathered railings.
ReplyDeleteGeneviève
Hello Irene!
ReplyDeleteI love the weathering of your railings. Thank you for showing the before and after of that. I think you have inspired me to go ahead with that on my own railings. Also a HUGE thank you for the information about the "roof tiles". I was going to try real slate but this looks amazing and I appreciate knowing the source.
Your house is lovely and I can't wait to see more.
Kind Regards!
Ray
Hello Irene,
ReplyDeleteIt looks awsome! The slate roof is beautiful and very realsitic. Good call on the dormers.
The windows look great and the railing is perfect. I just love your work! You set the bar high.
All the best,
Giac
You did a fantastic job,everything looks great! Thank you for the tip with the roof tiles. Hugs,Jeannette
ReplyDeleteI like the weathering technique of the railings! Your slate roof is awesome, very realistic! Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Ilona
ReplyDeleteWitam! Piękny jest ten dach. A okna zupełnie jak prawdziwe. Jestem pełna podziwu dla Twojej pracy. Pozdrawiam!
ReplyDeleteHello! Beautiful is the roof. A window just as real. I am full of admiration for your work. Yours!
The railing looks fantastic. Thank you for the great idea. The roof tiles look wonderful. I love all you are doing to this house.
ReplyDeleteHugs Maria
I love the alterations to the windows, far better to be dormers! I too, am not a fan of adding anything heavy to a kit, especially if it's heavy already and you know me, I have to age things and you can't very well with the real thing.
ReplyDeleteFor my Centenary House roof tiles I used the type of card that you frame pictures (the name eludes me right now...must be tired lol) with. Your bought ones are superb and you'd never know...only by the lack of weight etc.
Love the aged railings too, wonderful tip that I will borrow too! ;o)
Michelle xx
Foamcore dormers = brilliance. I have four dormers to make for the WAMH, so I am going to try this! And I LOVE the aged finish on your railings -- much softer and they're actually more visible.
ReplyDeleteGreetings Irene, You have made wonderful progress in your alterations. The dormers give the upper levels a great dimension - they turned out so well! Watching with interest.
ReplyDeleteI like the simplicity of the railings - are they metal?
Warm regards
Janine
minworks.blogspot.com
Thank you Janine. I'm pleased you like what I'm doing so far. The railings are the plastic ones that can be purchased anywhere. It's just a case of working out which bit works/looks best and cutting them.
DeleteThis looks so great! Those extra little details really bring the piece to life an make it unique.. It's not your bog standard 'dolls house' then :) love the railings too.. They really do give it that stately feel. + the dormers wow! You must be brave to cut into the house like that and alter it,. They do look great though! Can't wait to see the next stages.. I'm guessing this one will take along time to finish haha.. Not that a project is ever finished anyway!
ReplyDeleteMichael :)
I'm pleased you like it, Michael. The windows were all actually in place with the spaces in the roof already cut. It was just a case of using the sizes and working out the angles for the sides and top then putting it all together with the windows to create the dormers.
DeleteI have cut into one of the walls though - but that's for another post:-)
Hi Irene,
ReplyDeleteWow what a difference that treatment makes, the railings look lovely. The roof with the dormer's must have been a big job, they look wonderful. You are obviously a not only a very skilled lady but patient as well.
Fi xx
Thanks everyone for the nice things you're saying about this property. I'm having to pace myself with the posts here otherwise you'd be up to date within a week and then I'd really have to get on with it!
ReplyDeleteIrene, the exterior is stunning! The weathering is such a simple but effective touch. Great job customizing all your components --it really makes the property uniquely and unequivocally 'Irene.'
ReplyDeleteYour house is looking great, I love all yyour ideas, the dorma windows work a great! Why did you choose foam rubber as opposed to wood or MDF, was it weight again?
ReplyDeleteThe roof slates look good too, will have to get some of those! and the weathering on the railings looks very effective. Is that plastic railing strip?
regards
Andy
I'm pleased you like the progress so far. I used foamboard for the dormers because I have loads of it! It's really useful stuff and well worth investigating. The railings are exactly that - plastic railing strip - available from any dh shop/site. It's just a case of looking to see which bit will look best and cut to fit.
Delete