The last sections of the main exterior to be dealt with were the front door, portico and pavement. There's nothing fancy here and nothing has been altered or added. The front door has been painted matt black with a door knocker and door knob added. I'm pretty sure I'm going to leave the side lights clear but you never know, that might change in time.
I knew I wanted to use real stone on the steps and pavement and initially random flagstones from Richard Stacey were laid because they were already in my stash of bits. The thinking behind this was that at the time the house was built the "random" style would be fitting and you can see how they looked further down. It wasn't until they were laid that I had second thoughts so up they all came and down went grey flagstones (again from Richard Stacey) - much better!
Next job on the list was to add detail to the pillars at the foot of the stairs. They were crying out for something quite imposing so after a fair bit of wrestling with the Dremel I fitted these lights.
Two topiary swans were also introduced to either side of the front door. (You can also see the random flagstones in this pic).
I then needed to add some railings (just to prevent the servants and passers-by from toppling down into the "area"!). A little railing detail to the top of the basement wall was also added to match in with the railings already fitted to the area windows.
I'm on the lookout now for a suitable finial of some description to add to the posts.
The final additions to the basement, as it stands at the moment, are some supports (for want of a better word) on the basement side of the railings. I don't know what the correct architectural term is but I wanted them anyway!
.........and that's the exterior to date. In the next post, I'll show the whole completed frontage.
Note - a few people have asked how my sister Valerie produced the leaded fanlights in the previous post about windows. She used imitation lead relief available in a tube (I don't have it here otherwise I could have given a product name) on acetate and cut it to shape. They're not properly fixed in yet but will just be glued in, the same as "window glass", and I've passed on your nice comments for which she says "thank you".
Note - a few people have asked how my sister Valerie produced the leaded fanlights in the previous post about windows. She used imitation lead relief available in a tube (I don't have it here otherwise I could have given a product name) on acetate and cut it to shape. They're not properly fixed in yet but will just be glued in, the same as "window glass", and I've passed on your nice comments for which she says "thank you".








Hi Irene,
ReplyDeleteAll of these extra details really make a difference.They all work so well together, I love the black door with the lights either side, its all so nicely balanced. The pillar lights are wonderful addition, were they difficult to wire them in?
Allin all a fabulous entrance!
Fi xx
Hello Fi, The lights? In answer to your question - yes! It took me the best part of the day. The problem was the drill bit. To get the right length of drill bit meant the diameter was a tad too big for the fixing in the Dremel, if you see what I mean. I spent ages hunting for something that was up to the job - even asking the next door neighbour if he had something suitable! In the end, it was brute force and ignorance - lol.
DeleteThe attention to detail is amazing Irene! I love the grey stones, but I love the random ones too. Whatever you do is always so lovely :)
ReplyDeleteI love the matt black door, it makes such an accent in the light coloured facade. And your attention to detail is fab!
ReplyDeleteHi, Irene! Love the swan topiary! Such a grand entrance to a gorgeous property!
ReplyDeleteA beautiful entrance Irene,everything fits perfect together. Like to ask you,who is the seller of your pillar lights ,they are wonderful.Would you tell me name of the maker ? Hugs,Jeannette
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing !! You make beautiful things. Thanks for sharing them with us.
ReplyDeleteLots of greetings
Dorien
Beautiful progress! It is perfect for thid kind of house.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the link.
Geneviève
The house looks great from the outside (I am yearning to take a look inside soon!) Love the door, all very tasteful, I like the little topiary swans! and lamps too, You do have posh dolls living there! ;)
ReplyDeleteKeep up the good work, it's smashing stuff.
Love
andy
What a wonderful front entrance! The rail support is a nice touch to complete the look of the railings. Thanks for the link to Richard Stacey's website.
ReplyDeleteCheers,
Iris
Hello Irene,
ReplyDeleteIt looks PERFECT! You did a really great job and I just love the attention to detail you put into your work. Great job. I hope you have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Giac
Hi Irene! This house is(Of COURSE)looking SO Handsome! The Entrance is Just right with the lanterns on posts..... WHERE did you get Those???? And the railings and Even the Topiaries are Just right! I wnat to Walk right in that door!!! Lol!
ReplyDeleteWOW! I can't wait to see it all finished, this is incredible. Best of luck in all your adventures with your miniatures :)
ReplyDelete