This is my sink. I like this sink a lot! I really surprised myself making this sink but I'd seen a picture of one and thought "I could do that", so after a couple of sketches and a check to make sure all the bits were to hand, it didn't take that long. All that required to be purchased for it were the two little taps. This sink is now in the Butler's Pantry.
During a visit to a Stately Home last year, I spied this. There was actually a run of them in a long narrow room that was situated down a few steps from the Kitchen. The backs and sides were all wood and the tops, counters and dividers were made of slate. They were used to store vegetables and each "bin" held stores of one form or another. A quick drawing to remind myself when I got home and I came up with this. There's only enough space for one in Netherton but I like the idea. Again the marvellous Humbrol paint was used to get the "slate" effect.
This is another item that was spotted, I can't remember where now, but it certainly didn't look that difficult to create so... out came the balsa and some brick effect paper. Two piers were made using scrap wood and covered with the paper then painted white. A piece of balsa painted black for the "marble" top and some tiles on the back. Solder was used to create the rail and the little rabbit was added (there are other bits there now too) - and there you have it, a cold slab.
These are my pegs. Thanks to this little tutorial here: Sab's Mini Interiors on making pegs from cocktail sticks. I hadn't seen sticks of that particular style up here but fortunately for me a very kind blogger, namely Janice sent me some and this is how they turned out. The bowl was bought specifically for them! (Thank you Sabiha and Janice for the idea and the pegs).
What could this next item be, I hear you ask? This is a goffering iron (or Italian/Tally Iron). It was used to create frills round maid's caps/children's bonnets/nightdresses or anywhere a decorative trim was required. A hot poker was inserted into the metal sleeve on the top and the item was then artfully and skillfully move round the hot iron to give it it's lovely frills. The process was made easier by the fact that often these decorative pieces were removable. The irons were usually made by the local Blacksmith.
During a visit to a Stately Home last year, I spied this. There was actually a run of them in a long narrow room that was situated down a few steps from the Kitchen. The backs and sides were all wood and the tops, counters and dividers were made of slate. They were used to store vegetables and each "bin" held stores of one form or another. A quick drawing to remind myself when I got home and I came up with this. There's only enough space for one in Netherton but I like the idea. Again the marvellous Humbrol paint was used to get the "slate" effect.
This is another item that was spotted, I can't remember where now, but it certainly didn't look that difficult to create so... out came the balsa and some brick effect paper. Two piers were made using scrap wood and covered with the paper then painted white. A piece of balsa painted black for the "marble" top and some tiles on the back. Solder was used to create the rail and the little rabbit was added (there are other bits there now too) - and there you have it, a cold slab.
Finally, this is the Hearth & Home sink shown previously, now in place with the addition of the goffering iron on the shelf along side a sleeve board that was put together from lolly sticks and a couple of pairs of stretchers (used to keep the shape of stockings and socks while drying). These were made from balsa wood.
In the meantime, the next thing I'm hoping to make is a rubbish bin - the galvanised metal kind that said "No Hot Ashes" on the lid- like this:
Unless of course anyone knows where I can buy one from.............







Great work! I am amazed at what you manage to make. Everything is perfect for this kind of house.
ReplyDeleteGeneviève
Your sink is amazing. I love the iron and pegs. Every thing you have made is fantastic. Wonderful work.
ReplyDeleteHugs Maria
Wonderful work! I'm learning a lot about the period from your posts.
ReplyDeleteIt must have been a challenge to create all these interesting miniatures.
Hugs
You did a fantastic job!
ReplyDeleteel fregadero es fantástico, felicidades!!
ReplyDeleteBesitos
Irene,
ReplyDeleteit seems you can turn your hand to anything.Both the sinks look fabulous, the goffering iron is amazing, I never new such a thing existed and the little pegs are just gorgeous, i think I might give them a go some day.
ML Fi x
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteHello Fi, Thanks for your nice comment. You should give the pegs a try. They were pretty easy to make but a devil on the fingers when sanding them!
DeleteIrene, all your little makes are excellent! I love your sink, never seen an iron like that before, what a great thing to have in the laundry! Those pegs are cute too! It's all very well made and looks great! I think, even if you could buy a dustbin, you would have a much better one if you made it yourself!! Good luck! ;)
ReplyDeleteregards
Andy xx
Thanks Andy. I'm still on the lookout for the dustbin. I WILL make one if I can't buy but to be honest, if there's a suitable one out there, I'll just get it! Call me lazy - lol.
DeleteHi Irene, Great work! As someone who used to do costuming I was especially enamored of your 'goffering iron!' I am wondering how on earth you made it? Your sinks and bins are also amazing!
ReplyDeleteHave a great weekend,
John XO
Thank you John. The goffering iron was made from a little brass thingy that was included with a light I bought (a basic ceiling rose), some solder bent into shape and a piece of wood sanded to the required shape. The whole thing was painted black then a coat of my favourite "metal" Humbrol paint was added. I looked at real ones on line to get an idea of size.
DeleteYou made wonderful things and have been very busy! The sink you have made is really great,like the idea with two depots. So one side for dirty dishes and one side for already cleaned dishes ;-) Hugs,Jeannette
ReplyDeleteHello Irene,
ReplyDeleteI think I could spend days just looking at the wonderful artwork you do. I am always impressed by your skill and I admire anyone who doesn't shy away from a challenge. You are honestly one of my biggest inspirations in the blogosphere.
Big hugs,
Giac
Amazinfg! so when does your shop open?
ReplyDelete:-)
Ha ha! No shop Simon! It's fun making these little one off pieces but the minute I put myself up for "having" to make things, the interest goes.
DeleteHi Irene, you have done an excellent job, everything you've made! Like Simon says: you can open a shop by your self!!;)
ReplyDeleteGreetings, Ilona
Thank you everyone. Your comments are all very much appreciated.
ReplyDelete