The work done on the Laundry took place some time ago and was the first room tackled inside the house. The room is a pretty good size measuring 16" square x 8" high (40.6cms square x 20.3cms high) but because I will never do a house as big as this again I decided I wanted everything in it and so I chose to divide it into two spaces. (As if I didn't have enough rooms in this house - I still want more!) One side measures 6.5" wide (16.5cms) and the other - the Laundry - 9.5" wide (24.1cms).
Since that picture was taken, the dividing wall has been moved slightly to the left and is mdf and not foamboard. The partition comes out from the back wall and ends up in line with the door to the left and the decision was made to stop the wall short rather than have two long skinny rooms. These spaces could probably have been filled easily enough but this arrangement gives a better feeling of space.
The initial plan was to have a Gun Room to the left of the Laundry but that idea has since been replaced with a Butler's Pantry. There may yet be one squeezed in elsewhere but for the moment I'm happy with this arrangement as quite a bit of time was spent jumping from one idea to the other before making the final decision although it would be a shame not to have one, wouldn't it?
Having decided on the width of each room, the spaces were then decorated - the Butler's Pantry with good old lining paper and emulsion and the Laundry with a brick finish paper.
The cylindrical item to the left hand side of the Laundry will eventually be the copper. Can you guess what it was originally?



Hi Irene
ReplyDeleteI love the iodea of a Buttler's Pantry, but see if you can squeeze a Gun Room in will you... ;-)
The brick floor looks great and there is ample room in both spaces so it doesn't feel boxy. That wasn't a tin of Campbell's condensed soup was it ??
Take care
Simon x
I like the idea of the shortened wall - it divides while still giving a feeling of openness. :D Was it a mailing tube?
ReplyDeleteHello Irene,
ReplyDeleteThe dividing wall is a great way of making additional rooms, it would have been a big laundry on its own. A butler's pantry is a great idea too. Will you have a silver safe in there? I am with Simon, I think the copper is some sort of tin, reminds me of Blue Peter!!
As for the gun room, perhaps you could have a gun cabinet tucked away outside one of the other service rooms, maybe near the servants' staircase, if there is room?
regards
Andy xxx
Ciao!!! Che bellissima casa di bambola ...!!! Sono una tua nuova amica !!! Ti seguo con grande piacere ..!!!
ReplyDeleteVieni a trovarmi se ti va!!!
Un bacio
Elvira
Buena decisión Irene, me gusta mucho la sensación de espacio con las dos habitaciones
ReplyDelete:D
Un abrazo
GRACIAS por no tener palabra de verificación!
Irene, I think the butlers pantry is a great idea, think of all the little goodies you can put in there!
ReplyDeleteNow i must say you boys must not be in miniature mode because there is no way that a tin of soup would be to scale unless you have tiny, tiny tins s in Britain. It's a toilet roll tube, sillies!!!!
Well at least thats what i think it is!!
Hugs, Fi xx
Hello Irene, I'm with Fi and think it's a toilet paper tube.
ReplyDeleteI think it's great, an proper, to have a butlker's pantry in a house such as this. It is looking great. One thing, you make it sound as though it is possible to have enough rooms in a miniature house...Dewell Manor has 21 and could still use more...there is no such thing as enough rooms, and you must find a spot for a gun room!
Big hug Irene,
Giac
...and a flower arranging room ...and a gift-wrapping room...you could go on and on but eventually you have to come to some sort of decision, right, Irene? (And you can always add wings, later, if you get really tight on space)!
ReplyDeleteHmm, it looks a tad short to be a TP tube. Do you have 'single-serve Pringle's Potato Chips' over there? I didn't think so, but that's what it looks like.
I enjoy seeing the progress of your house. I think a butler pantry is a must in such a house and to have also a gun room would be great. I guess the people in this house hunt...
ReplyDeleteGeneviève