Thursday, 17 January 2013

From this..................

Some of you may already know that for some time now I have been quietly awaiting the departure of the offspring!   They are 30 and 26 years of age - grown men - and more than ready to make their way in the world on their own, under their own steam.   By that I mean they do their own ironing, know the business end of a vacuum cleaner and are pretty good at the cooking so I am more than confident that they can manage by themselves!
No 2 son flew the nest in July, Number 1 son left at the beginning of December - yippee, two rooms to play with.
One room has a great double window but a smaller length of wall with sockets, the other room has a longer window but a great expanse of wall with sockets.   I have claimed the latter - lol

Initially, all my mini stuff and houses were taken upstairs and to all intents and purposes, abandoned.   No mini work has taken place at all during this time.   Who would want to work in there?
So, over the past week I have been decorating and can now show you what I've been up to.   My new hobby room has gone from this unadulterated shambles (Hambleton Hall cabinet upside down and  awaiting castors) ..............







To this..................








The room measures 9' by 14.5' (2.74m x 4.41m) and I have approximately 10' (3.04m) of houses.   More than enough space to line them up and still be able to open the doors.

Although they look good standing there all in a line, I have yet to sort out the electrics so I'm not sure if I have any casualties - I'll leave that for another day.

In the long term I need to get a cabinet for the Tearooms and a smaller desk and chair but at the moment, to say I am thrilled is an understatement!




26 comments:

  1. Amazing!!!What a dream, all this space! How nice to see them with your dollshouse! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvelous!!! It looks like a heavenly place to spend some time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Irene you very lucky girl lol Its still a faraway dream for me as I still have 3 at home with no sign of wings developing yet :DDD Your room looks great have lots of fun in your wonderful room with all them gorgeous houses.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.... what a transformation! And what a lovely hobby room complete with amazing houses.

    Enjoy!

    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Irene,
    That's wonderful. What a nice space for your hobby....and your great houses.
    Greetings Dorien.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your room looks lovely Irene! It must be wonderful to have all your mini items & houses all together. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so jealous of your new workspace --how wonderful it must be! Your houses look fantastic all in a row. You're quite the real estate mogul, Irene!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is such a great space! I would keep the big table though, all the more space for making things. You're houses are stunning!

    I'm a bit jealous too, as my no 1 son may be coming back after uni, as no 2 son goes off to uni this summer. Students haven't really left, have they. Love them dearly, but would also love a workroom! Looks like I have another 5-8 years to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You are one lucky girl! So much space in which to move and work and play! Looking at all your houses, I was almost in shock. You have so many, I'm almost intimidated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a bit strange seeing your houses in a real room, they seem so real I had forgotten they are miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's strange seeing your houses in a real room, I had almost forgotten they are miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow when you see them lined up like that their size becomes really apparent! I was sad to see the photo of Hambleton on its side! But glad you have your hobby room and its just the way you want it - you've waited long enough! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Irene,
    That is a great work room. Your houses look so beautiful next to each other like that. It just makes your incredible, skilled work even more impressive.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha ha
    You got the room then Irene?!
    It was worth holding out for ;-)

    It looks great with all your houses lined up. I was thinking of doing a post of my hobby room as we all know each other's "houses" well, but not the spaces we sit in for hours!

    Best wishes
    Simon x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Irene, your parental Patience has been rewarded Big Time! The room looks Fabulous! But even more fun is seeing all your "Properties" lined up together! Such a rare treat ... and they look Fantastic! I hope nothing jiggled loose in the move and that they will all be re-decorated in no time! Hah! We know how long it takes to get everything set up...!!! :) But it is Fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, Wow, Wow!!!!

    Your houses look fabulous all lined up!!

    What a great space!! All those years of looking after those boys has finally payed off......; ) I think the problem is if you look after them to well they don't want to go!! The fact that they have stayed so long is testament to you being a great Mum!!
    What a great room!! It's a few years ahead before I can think about getting one of those!! Enjoy working in it and no doubt we will see some results before to long.

    ML Fi xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on the birth of your hobby room. I did the same last year and managed to do it twice - once to the summerhouse (aka shed) and then I got rid of the guest bed and moved back to the guest room where I had been scrunched up at a little desk and claimed the whole space. So I know what a joy it is for you to have a place that you can have everything together and close the door on the world; or afterwards on the mess! I bet you find you will do even more stuff now there is a proper place to do it. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have great space to work. It is in the basement, I have a water prob that has been fixed but still gets damp. I do have heat and use a dehumidifier in the summer so I consider myself so very fortunate to have my own space to work. Your space is fantastic I am so happy for you and know how important it is to have a place to go.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Irene, your new workroom looks fantastic and your houses are awe-inspiring! Loving your blogs & looking forward to catching up on your older posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wowww, I love your blog, is very beautiful. Congratulations. Kisses from Spain.

    http://redecoratelg.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, Irene -- it looks so lovely! The houses look great -- won't it be marvellous when you can light them all up and just sit and admire your work? :) Nina

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Irene, Congratulations on both sending your sweet boys out into the world and reclaiming a space for your passion.

    I know whenever I want the luxury of craft time I go on a huge clean-up rampage. Stand aside! This releases me to submerge myself into a project without any excuses that I should be doing something else.

    Your houses look amazing lined up along the wall. I do hope all electrical systems survived the move as wiring/electrical seems to be so erratic! Daylight and an outlook from the window is a bonus for you. I love to ponder nature outside my workroom window.

    All the best, look forward to more wonderous things emerging from your new space.
    Regards Janine

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello Irene,

    I'm just catching up on all the posts I have missed over the past couple of weeks (where has the time gone?!) So sorry for not leaving a comment sooner. I think the room has been transformed! it can be daunting to start redecoration a room, but always worthwhile in the end! I love the neat set of shelves, could do with some of those myself! But the houses are what make this room special! It's so nice to see them all together, they are all so different in style. And how nice to have space for all your miniatures! I have a constant battle to keep my cellar, where my houses are kept, clear of debris and clutter! Look forward to seeing what you have been up to in your new studio soon!! ;o)

    Big spacious hugs
    Andy xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh what wonderful all these houses I am impressed my compliments
    Hello you are follower of me my blog
    But I have changed the name of my blog
    http://victorianhall.blogspot.nl/
    Would you be so kind to join my new blog?
    Thank you
    Lies

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dear Irene, thank you for commenting on my post...you have so many blogs and so much to see! Your new work space is fantastic and wow you have so many big projects! I have difficulties to fill one house and finish it:) It all looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Buenas tardes Irene, es una pena que los hijos se hagan grandes y vuelen sólos, pero es ley de vida, yo tengo uno con 20 años que ya hace tres se marchó de casa para estudiar en la universidad y aun no me acostumbro.
    Que marvilla de casas, te felicito por tus trabajos.
    Mil besos...Julia

    ReplyDelete