Tuesday, 2 April 2013

Edinburgh Emporium 2

While waiting on a couple of commissioned pieces, I thought I'd better start working on the outside. I couldn't make up my mind about the finish for this. My initial idea was paint, but what colours? Nothing sprang to mind so I moved on to stonework. Luckily I had enough compound in my stash to complete the building (two sides and the front).
 

 



I'm now sorting out the colours - talk about 50 Shades of Grey!!

Well, after a few days of adding, dabbing, stippling and dry brushing, I've now reached this point. The quoins are now darker and I think I'm happy with it.


 
 
 
 
It was difficult to see how either side matched but I think it's ok. Maybe a bit more tweaking?

These are the walls after aforementioned tweaking! I'm happy with this now and have stopped fiddling with it!
 
 
 
 
 
 
The window and door have now been added. The door, window, frames and etched glass were all supplied with the kit
 




Some progress has been made with this over the past few days. The window now has a weathered railing and there is also a pavement outside. My initial thought was to have flagstone paper (the fibre glass sort) but I couldn't find a piece long enough to cover the area in one go so, after a delve into the stash, I came across some real flagstones left over from a previous project and I'm glad I did as they look so much better.  



More to follow!

17 comments:

  1. Hello Irene,
    Your techniques are great and your finishes always perfection! It looks fantastic and, as always, incredibly realistic.
    Great work!
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Irene! Your stonework is absolutely outstanding! I love how the colour turned out! This is something I have yet to tackle. Oh, well, one thing at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's looking good, the grey looks right, I have to decide on the exterior of my new build. So you stones are an option

    ReplyDelete
  4. The walls are perfect, I like the colour, this way they look very real. I think it was a good idea for a Scottish shop.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always Irene it looks stunning. Your stone work looks so authentic :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought your walls are beeing really good. I have a passion for the shades you got up. The entire entrance area has also been really good.
    Hugs
    Wyrna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yessss! The stonework is perfect for this concept. Brilliant work!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stonework is perfect for the Emporium; it looks very Scottish. Can't wait to see what you do with it next.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The stonework looks great! I'm glad you chose to do a stone finish, it seems to fit beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a Wonderful Diversion this little shop is!!! Your stonework is fantastic and I love the front of the shop! It is looking so Handsome! I can't wait to see what you put in the shop.... there are sure to be amazing regional Treasures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would expect to find the Scottish Emporium in a classic stone building like that so approve thoroughly of your choice! It looks beautifully aged too - just the right amount for a building with history without becoming shabby.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As everyone says the stonework is wonderful. Wish I could do that and I so want etched 'glass' - wish I knew how they did it. The whole thing is a delight and all down to your extra touches such as a more interesting interior and railings across the window. Is the name of the shop painted?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks amazing Irene! Fabulous colour that stonework of yours! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all. I'm so pleased you like it. It's been keeping me busy for months!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Le résultat est absolument splendide! Beau travail...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Funny how you can forever just keep on fussing with those stones! Yours turned out beautifully, Irene --great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Irene! I completely agree with John! For some reason mine always seem to need some more tweeking and I see that you have felt the same. Could it be the way the light hits it? I like how the brown wood tones are in harmony with the grey that you have chosen. It looks to be a blue/grey and the blue and the brown were tailor made for each other! Great work!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete