When I started this blog it was, in the main, to chart the progress of my large property Netherton. That was the "Stately" part. I also wanted to show smaller projects so that when my other blogs featuring my other properties had reached their natural end, I could continue with the "Small".
Some time ago I was given the opportunity of decorating a little shop. Just a one room shop but with a fancy door and a laser-etched sign. It is available from here: Smaller Homes
(small Shop Box) and measures 13 inches (340mm) wide by 13 inches (340mm) deep by 9 inches (230mm) high.
Initially I had decided this shop was going to be an Emporium - akin to a grocer's shop I remembered from my childhood. (Old fashioned even then - the shop that is, not me!). Dry goods on one side, cold meats, etc on the other, pillars and a black and white check floor. Unfortunately, I was so small when going to this shop, that's all I could remember of it! That meant it was back to the drawing board for a new approach.
I struggled with quite a few ideas until a friend came up with the idea of a Scottish shop. Not the horrific tat that no self-respecting Scot would be seen dead with, no plastic piper dolls in Highland kit, no green fluffy Loch Ness monsters, (although the keyrings can produce some quite interesting items for the mini world!) but a more refined establishment selling goods of quality!
Anyway, the first thing I thought I'd do is add a bit of interest.
I thought a step up would be quite interesting and I also liked the idea of "wrought iron" railings so I played with them for a bit.
A shelving unit was needed for display purposes so I had a go at making one as it had to be custom fit and a few steps were added.
The counter with the "marble" top was purchased as a plain wood unit and waxed and I changed the arch for a narrower one.
I struggled with quite a few ideas until a friend came up with the idea of a Scottish shop. Not the horrific tat that no self-respecting Scot would be seen dead with, no plastic piper dolls in Highland kit, no green fluffy Loch Ness monsters, (although the keyrings can produce some quite interesting items for the mini world!) but a more refined establishment selling goods of quality!
Anyway, the first thing I thought I'd do is add a bit of interest.
The arch is a left-over window frame from Hambleton Hall and I'm using foamboard to create additional walls. I love that stuff!
A shelving unit was needed for display purposes so I had a go at making one as it had to be custom fit and a few steps were added.
The counter with the "marble" top was purchased as a plain wood unit and waxed and I changed the arch for a narrower one.
It was then papered with lining paper and painted a buttery yellow. The floor is created from my all-time favourite iron on flooring and waxed with brush on, buff off wax and the archway created along with a little one to the right. There will be lighting in those two spaces.
A plaid curtain is added...........I'm not sure yet what this space will be used for but I'll think of something!
I also need to tidy up the edges of the little arch.










Looks great Irene, the detail of the small alcove is really interesting!
ReplyDeleteBrilliant work Irene! Its so nice to click on the big pictures and see details you would miss otherwise. Everything is perfect so far and cant wait for the next instalment!
ReplyDeleteWonderful Irene! The whole concept appeals to my scots genes ;) Looking forward to progress pics!!
ReplyDeleteI look forward to seeing how the Emporium turns out. I love that plaid curtain; I actually snapped a picture of a similar curtain at Edinburgh Castle in 2009 just because I liked the way it looked. (Now why didn't I think to look at some souvenir keychains at the time?)
ReplyDeleteOh Irene what a wonderful project and as always your work is lovely and you do have a good eye for detail. Can't wait to see more as a fellow Scot :)
ReplyDeleteThis is an interesting project, I love it. I'm really looking forward toseeing what you're going to put in it. I love what you've done so far, especially the arch with the curtain.
ReplyDeleteGeneviève
Dear Irene
ReplyDeleteSo many blog you have running. So active a lady you are, you have my deepest respect.
I love to see you show what you're doing. You are a very skilled artist. I seemed almost I've won the lottery by finding another 2 blog of yours with minis.
Thank you for your always sweet comments on my humble blog.
Hugs
Wyrna
It's such a lovely little space, Irene! You are so very creative and talented. I love the idea of the arched door and little window. It will be such fun to see what sort of things you use to furnish it. The elevated counter with the stairs and wrought iron railing is a huge wow factor in this small build.
ReplyDeleteYou have made such wonderful progress already Irene! I love all your ideas & can't wait to see how your Emporium develops!
ReplyDeleteWishing you & yours a lovely Easter! x
I am really curious to see how your project will turn out....from what I have seen in this post; I think it's going to be great!
ReplyDeleteFelicidades por esta escena, me encanta como empleas el cartón pluma para crear muros adicionales, estoy impaciente de verlo terminado:)
ReplyDeleteIrene I love what you have done to this room. The archway and arched window is wonderful. I am looking forward to seeing more of this wonderful room.
ReplyDeleteHugs Maria
Hi Irene! I Love to see the beginnings of a project! Your shelving unit looks fantastic! I would not guess it was "home made"! I Love the archway with the plaid hanging in it.... and I am so curious to see what you will put back there! Can't wait to see more!
ReplyDeleteThis was a nice surprise! The shop looks great already and I know it's just going to be perfect when it's finished with your eye for detail :)
ReplyDeleteHello Irene,
ReplyDeleteWhat a great little (small) project!! I love that shelving unit you created! It is all starting to look very Baronial! I imagine the arch as some sort of changing room, a bit like the one used by M Ben, on the TV show I remember so well when I was a nipper! Maybe you can sell some nice kilts and tartan clothes in the shop, though, as you say, perhaps not quite The Edinburgh Woolen Mill (no Walkers Shortbread in tartan tins!!) lol!
I'm a half Scot myself, and I have always rather liked those little models of Nessie I saw in the tourist shops of Edinburgh. I even had a hairy haggis for a while!!!
I wonder what your shop will sell? Little bottles of good Highland Malt, perhaps. I am sure you have some great ideas!!
Look forward to seeing this project develop.
Andy xx
I'm pleased you all like my little Emporium. It's a bit of a departure from the "historical" I usually do. There are another 3 posts to follow.
ReplyDeleteAndy - re your hairy haggis. We sell them in the National Trust shop I volunteer in - did yours squeak? - lol!
Hello Irene! I don't remember it squeaking, but it's likely that it did!!
Delete