Monday, 8 April 2013

Edinburgh Emporium 3

I'd like you all to meet Sandy, the Emporium Piper.   He'll take you round the Emporium and show you some of the items.




First of all, we have some kilts.   These are available in the mini world but I thought I'd have a go at making my own.   The fur on the sporran is real!
 
 
 
 
 

 

I had a look round some  RL shops for ideas and came across skean dhu's. A skean dhu is a ceremonial dagger worn down the side of the sock when wearing a kilt. They aren't something that's made in miniature, as I discovered after spending ages online searching, and because I'd made up my mind that I was going to have them, I had to create my own.  






Another item that I was originally going to buy was a spurtle. I wanted a few of these then decided just to make them. A spurtle is a wooden stick used for stirring porridge - very good for avoiding lumps. Folklore has it that you stir your porridge with your right hand in a clockwise direction to keep away the Devil!

 



More items for the Emporium that had to be made were post cards, cushions, slippers and half a dozen quaichs. A quaich is a shallow Scottish drinking cup traditionally made from wood but the ceremonial quaichs are made of silver or pewter.








 
 
 We also have some little flags - Saltires on the left and Lion Rampant on the right.
 
 



This painting - The Reverend Robert Walker skating on Duddingston Loch by Sir Henry Raeburn (circa 1795) is a well recognised Scottish painting so I had to have one of those.




There is also a selection of shortbread and whisky cake.




I couldn't do this project and NOT include Rabbie Burns - Scotland's greatest poet

 
 
 

I've also included Scotland's worst poet - William McGonagall!


 

For the sweet tooth, there is some Edinburgh Rock - terribly bad for the teeth, but yummy!




There is also my Scottish take on the famous "Little Brown Bag" -

The "Wee Broon Bag"!



...............a selection of tinned goods -


 
 
and a sampling of our other National drink!



23 comments:

  1. Hello Irene! Everything is so perfect! All I can say is that you have such a lovely talent. May I add that anything I stir is stirred counter clockwise. When I read you post, I had to stop and pretend to stir something and that's when I realized that I stir counter clockwise. Well, well, I just found out something about myself. I do know that when I have to stir something for a long time like this special desert I make on special occasions, I get tired and stir one way and then the other. I must say I never heard of whisky cakes nor Edinburgh Rock. That surprises me! I used to be a candy fiend! I will try to find some whisky cakes. Thank you for a wonderful post and the sharing of your mini treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a remarkable array of merchandise! How on earth did you make the skean dhu? They are marvelous!

    I made some oatmeal for breakfast this morning and I'm trying to recall if I stirred the pot correctly --I don't want no devil up in my kitchen.

    Can't wait to see your goodies displayed in the shop!

    XO,
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment John. The skean dhu's started life as cocktail sticks!

      Delete
  3. Wow Irene what a lot of wonderful items. The kilts and skean dhu's are amazing. I love whiskey cake and shortbread :) Fantastic work I can't wait to see more.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Irene I love all your items - all so Scottish and the all important Irn Bru :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Irene, everything what you do is so perfectionistic. So many special things you have at your store. I look so much forward to seeing more.
    To visit you is always a trip into a new miniature world. You always shows so many new things that I did not know of.
    Hugs
    Wyrna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Irene, beautiful miniatures in this post, all of them! But most of all I like the kilts; I have never seen kilts in mini; fantastic, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like John I am itching to see the things on display. Crikey you are clever - such lovely stuff and soooo right. My daughter lives in Edinburgh, so I am familiar with all the things. I think the the wee broon bag is a RL 'hole in the market' - make a fortune with those!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Irene, I love to see all those Scottish miniatures, now I learn a bit more of Scotland too :D!! The kilts and skean dhu's are amazing.
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ma che bella idea, Irene. Good!!! Un emporio scozzese!!! Davvero autentico e geniale per farci conoscere ancora di più le vostre tradizioni. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is the tinned haggis any good? I'll be right over to shop at your emporium! Littlest grandson needs a new kilt, the one he's currently wearing has to be wrapped around him twice! I take my 'bonnet' off to you, an inspiring and fabulous array of stock.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WELL!! I have been hiding under a rock!! I have missed all this and have just spent the last 15 minutes catching up. I love your Emporium and all the goodies going into it. You are so clever and have come up with some wonderful items. The wee broon bag got me giggling.

    I'm really looking forward to seeing it all on the shelves.

    Sorry for being away so long!

    ML Fi xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have done a remarkable job! Thank you for teaching me so much about Scottish culture.
    By the way...I am a right handed clockwise stirrer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You really have stocked your Emporium well Irene, every tourist to bonnie Scotland should visit. You have done a fantastic job on everything, love the kilts especially. I remember my mum advising me stir cakes in a clockwise fashion, must have been something passed down from our Scottish heritage, she was a Grant, maybe related to the whiskey giants:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Irene,
    So amny beautiful miniatures. Sandy is wonderful. You really did a great job on the kilt and the skean dhus are terrific. So many wonderful miniatures...I cannot wait to see them all in place.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too can't wait to see all these wonderful miniatures in situation. I love the selection of Scottish products you've made and thank you for some of the information about them. I love the kilts. It brings so many great memories of my stays in Scotland.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  16. Irene, such a fantastic array of products you have made for your emporium. Your whiskey cakes must be like my rum cake. I love to learn more about the Scotch. Now, do I need to stir clockwise with anything or do I need the Spurtle to keep the devil away? I had better rush over to buy a spurtle (which is so well made), just in case....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Irene, you have created such a Fantastic assortment of Gods for your Emporium!!! It will be a Fascinating place to shop.... I hope we get to see inside soon? Where oh Where did you get such Gorgeous tiny plaid fabric???? And the Skean Dhus are Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased you like it, thank you. The fabric was picked up at various fairs.

      Delete
  18. Mmm...shortbread! Mom and I visited Scotland in 2003 on a guided hiking trip, and I had my first taste of Scotch whiskey! I've become somewhat of a connoisseur since then. It was a lovely trip, and I hope to return some day. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brae and if you do return, you'll be made very welcome. Be sure to visit Edinburgh!

      Delete
  19. Oh Irene!

    What a lot of delightful things! You must have spent ages creating that lot! I love the postcard rack particularly, and the kilts of course! I had forgotten about Edinburgh Rock!! we used to get that sometimes as children! I think my sister used to have a skean dhu too, she used to play in a bagpipe band.

    But where's the Highland Malt?!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment, Andy. I haven't left out the whisky, there's more to come!

      Delete