Sunday, 7 July 2013

Just Whittlin'

I have been a really bad blogger of late.   Whilst I've been reading all the blogs I follow, I haven't been posting.   I think the oomph went again but I've been keeping up to date with all your wonderful work and I don't think I'm even going to try to catch up with comments - I'm so far behind, suffice to say, I'm back and enjoying all your splendid progress.
 
I have been doing some mini work but it's been in a sort of half-hearted fashion - a wee bit here and a wee bit there but nothing has grabbed my attention recently.    That was until the middle of last week.   I was looking through a National Trust book on conservation and which had some lovely pictures of the interiors of some properties - upstairs and downstairs.  
 
I wont say yet what it was that caught my attention to the point where I thought it could make a great mini scene - suffice to say the spark was ignited!
 
While the other half has been watching tennis (me, I'd sooner watch paint dry!) I've been up in my little hobby room whittling away.    I've never whittled before and I must say, it's quite an enjoyable pastime.
 
In case it's not patently obvious, I've created three cows' legs.   I may only need two but you never know when you might need a third cow's leg as back up!
 
 
 
I was motivated to create these legs myself by the exceptionally clever wood workers in blogland.   Without their inspiration, I'd probably have bought two plastic cows and cut their legs off so thank you for sharing your skills - I would never have done this otherwise..

16 comments:

  1. Hi Irene! I think you did a great job on the cow's legs. When I saw the first pic before scrolling to the second, I thought you were making table legs. Hahhaha! I'm curious to see what comes next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Irene,

    It's kind of nice to take a break for a while --and if you're gone for more than a few days, it's so overwhelming to play catch-up! Glad that you got inspired and I'm very curious to find out the source of your inspiration. Nice job on the cow's legs. Happy Summer!

    XOXO,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really impressed with these Irene :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Irene,
    The legs are wonderful but I try to imagine a cow with three or five legs??
    What the H... are you doing with your cow. I'm all puzzled. But you made beautiful cow legs.
    Greetings Dorien

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Irene! That cow doesn't have a leg to stand on! Your whittling is looking really good! Have you ever sculpted before? Isn't this just exactly what makes this hobby the BEST! You get to try a bit of Everything or what ever MOOOO ves you!

    elizaberth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha - very good! No, I've never done anything like this before. I've probably gone about it all the wrong way and used the wrong implement but for my purposes it all worked out. It's quite an enjoyable little exercise but I don't think I'll be making a career out of it - lol!

      Delete
  6. Hello Irene,
    It's lovely to see a new post from you. The legs are incredible! You did a fantastic job...they are so perfectly detailed. Bravo.
    I know how you feel. I try to follow blogs daily or it just gets impossible to catch up...sometimes you just gotta go forward.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oeph, sorry to say but... i'm glad i'm not alone in this. I too try to keep up with some of the amazing things folk post about while at the same time i'm lost for inspiration and hardly post myself. I guess inspiration comes in waves ? :) Just as you did going through that book :) Now...i wonder... 3 cows leg, only two needed.... hmmmm? You've got me here.... i'll be pondering the next few days, on the most unexpected moments 'What the biep is Irene up to?' :))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's thanks to you that I decided to have a go. When I saw the legs, up popped a picture in my head of your approach to working with wood, drawing the shape and the other various stages you've shared on your blog. I would never have even considered doing something like this if I hadn't been inspired by your beautiful work although I'm a long way behind in the skill level. This could be as good as it gets!

      Thank you so much for sharing what you do - I doubt I'm alone in being inspired.

      Delete
    2. I take that as a very big compliment Irene. If anything, i blog to share what's possible and if others find inspiration in that i'm over the moon/happy as a kid/delighted/keen to see what direction they take it/etc, etc. And you know what the best part of it is? I believe making mini's should be FUN, nothing else! Just fun, fun creating, fun building them and fun sharing them. And you've done just that :)))) And made my day :)
      Thanks!

      Delete
  8. shoot! i've just typed a substantial response... hit the wrong button... and now's all gone :( What it came down to Irene, is that you've got me here. 3 Cows legs... only 2 needed... i'll be pondering the next few days, at the most unexpected times of the day... 'What the biep is she up to???' :)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cow legs are so thoroughly well done. Lovely you got hold of your creative mini side again.
    I understand what you mean, it is difficult to read and write as so many blog that I now follow.
    I have vacation from next week, I look forward to it. Yes I'm gonna be creative some of the time, but I will have a vacation from blog land, and I look forward to it.
    Hugs
    Wyrna

    ReplyDelete
  10. The legs are great. Blog land is a funny place sometimes I read people's blogs everyday other weeks I hardly get to read a thing. I haven't been able to catch up on writing my blog either. I'm going to blame winter...it's very hard to get motivated. Indypoppy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Irene....I can't wait to see what it is you need only TWO Cows Legs for!!! LOL! This will be good! I am so glad to see the oomph is back.... and I am always amazed at the things other people can make... and I learn SO Much from other people's blogs... it is a Fantastic Community and I feel so blessed to have found my way to it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Irene,
    Just now getting (somewhat) caught up on blogs. I suspect I may know what your are doing with your cows legs, since I recently DID buy a plastic cow and cut off it's legs for one of my own projects... Your carvings look great! Can't wait to see if my guess is right!

    ReplyDelete