Monday, 26 August 2013

The Dairy is done and dusted!

After much fiddling and faffing in this small space, I finally managed to put a front on the Dairy.   This was made of foamboard with wooden panels attached.     I'm pleased with the way it eventually turned out and even more pleased with the "chicken wire" at the windows.   That was just net sprayed silver and it worked really well.
 
 
 
A little shelf was added using cornice offcut and the hyacinth was pinched from another property to add a bit of life until a decision is made on something more permanent.   A light has still to be added, probably outside, and because it wont be possible to wire it in, I'll be giving the battery version a try for the first time.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Using my newly acquired whittling skills I created a milkmaid's yoke to add a bit more interest.   Luckily I found a RL one online complete with sizes  which made making one a whole lot easier.
 
 
I surprised myself with this little addition as, until I spotted the inspiration photo, a Dairy hadn't even been considered and best of all - it didn't cost me anything as all the bits were in the stash.   You can't get better than that!
 
 




18 comments:

  1. Hi Irene
    THe dairy is a triumph! It almost seams a shame to hide it all behind the door - however, it is a great door ;-) I like the wire mesh grill.
    I think this has been a truly inspired addition, it adds another layer to the whole feel of the house.
    well done x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Irene! That Dairy has to be one of the Best afterthoughts going!!! And the knowledge that it is there, complete to a "T" .... and hardly visible to anyone but the little people... that makes it one of those AWESOME touches!!! And the yoke is the crowning glory! It really is one of those inspirational projects that makes everyone else have to think..."gosh, where am I going to put My Dairy?"!! LOL! Really superb!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me gusta como te ha quedado este rincón y la idea de la malla es fantástica .
    Un beso

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just adorable. I like the clean lines with the white walls. You are really doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Irene,

    I absolutely adore the cow's legs - they are so original! There aren't too many mini - houses with a dairy, I imagine, so it's great to see that you have one,

    Jonquil

    PS something is winging its way to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great basement you have made. The little room you have made behind the door is very special. Your water tap your steps and your windows parts is very very lovely. It's all so perfect.
    Hugs
    Wyrna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Irene,
    It is fantastic. it looks like it was planned from the very beginning. you did a terrific job and the finished dairy is realistic and charming.
    big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful scene: It's cute and realistic at the same time. And I love the colours you used. Hugs, Liduina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Irene as always its perfect. Love the cow legs - so unique :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful work, an absolute beautiful scene, Irene. Love the milkmaid's yoke and the cow legs you did this job very well, they are unique.
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  11. Irene! This little dairy is Wonderful! As soon as you descend down the stairs the feel is that it is very cool and very quiet! I initially thought that the table would be out in the open, not realizing that it was going to be enclosed; but what a terrific way to make use of this area with this tiny room! I am impressed with the screening and the door. I love the little shelf on the outside, but the dairymaid's yolk on the inside wall is Brilliant! Such a fantastic finale! Well done!


    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  12. it is s much fun,it looks so real,you dit a wonderful job.the pictures are so nice.hugs,alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  13. Irene, this is a VERY impressive level of detail, and so beautifully done! Basements can be such dark, dreary places, but the dairy adds a lot of life and warmth. Clearly, every room at Netherton is put to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your work is really amazing and looks very realistic. Congratulations! If you use a battery light I will be very interested to read what you think of it and where you'll buy it.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your dairy is fantastic. Wonderful idea I love the cow legs :) Beautiful work everything looks amazing.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Irene,

    The dairy is superb! I can't believe you pulled it all from your stash --incredible!

    XOXO,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Irene, Great that you were inspired to make the yoke. These extra details are the ones that make such a difference. I do love your cow leg table too.
    Regards Janjne

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Irene, Wonderful little surprise addition! It adds so much life to an otherwise uninspiring under stairs aerea. Love the chicken wire and the cows legs!

    ReplyDelete