Monday, 12 August 2013

Three cows' legs

Following on from my last post I can hear you all saying "what on earth would Irene want with three cows' legs?"


Well, this is why - *

 

I decided Netherton needed a dairy and while this property is more town house than country house, I had the perfect space under the "area" and opposite the privy.  



The tiles were taken from the inspiration photograph (Ham House) and I've used, but not directly copied, the general idea given that I don't have much space to play with.   



Fortunately I had quite a few bits that were suitable for inclusion and as it's a bit tricky to photograph them in situ, I've detailed them below as once the front and door are added it'll be tricky to see all that's there.



There is still some finishing off to be done (bits that have been highlighted by the photos!) and the front has to be added.   It's also not possible to light this space using electrics so I may use one of the new battery operated lights here - I'm thinking about that at the moment although I might just leave it the way it is.

* ©National Trust Images/Andreas von Einsiedel   Reproduced with the kind permission of the National Trust (www.nationaltrust.org.uk)  


17 comments:

  1. How fun is that?!!! :D Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Irene! This post really MOOOved me! hahahhah I love the addition of a pseudo-dairy and the under stair area is a matched made in heaven for this little vignette! I love the assorted crockery and the wonderful eggs and the cheese that I see on the table top. It would be such a shame if you did Not light it because how else would one be able to fully appreciate them? You may end up with your cows legs protesting with a walk-out!
    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Irene,
    The cow feet are just wonderful. What a fun detail and it works so well. I just love it and cannot believe how good your carving is. Very well done my friend.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely love it Irene - and it seems to fit in Netherton perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work on the cows legs, I think it was very brave of you to try carving and what success, you have done a great job. I just love the whole idea of it and it looks just gorgeous, what fun!

    ML Fi xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love cow legs or some such animal in any of my houses! Wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It had never occurred me, that your cow bones were used for table legs, but why not?. It does look so gorgeous, perfectly suited to the tabletop. The whole scene you created is so great and the space is perfect useable.
    Hugs
    Wyrna

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a clever way to use that tricky spot under the stairs - and so apropos to a stately home! It's a very charming scene, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very cute idea for a small space!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a hilarious use for Three Cow's legs!!! I don't suppose they could have squeezed a fourth one in just because? !! I love the whole idea, Irene! And your version with the cheese wheel and the bowls for cream and eggs is utterly "delicious"!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Irene,

    nice legs!!

    I remember seeing those legs in the dairy a few years ago, and when I saw cows legs on your photo I thought, I wonder if Irene's making a dairy!? They look great, and you've collected a great deal of dairy themed miniatures to go with it too, it fits the space very well indeed.

    Great fun and a lovely touch to your dolls house!!

    Andy x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank heavens for a three-legged cow! It is just brilliant. The legs totally match the 'original'inspiration. You really do have a magic touch besides sheer talent. Well done that woman. Love it all.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an excellent idea! the result is perfect, I love it.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry to be so late in my response, but what fun you've made here!!! Great job Irene, I'm smiling from ear to ear behind my pc :)))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Irene, I have just been catching up on your Blog, so many beautiful items in your pictures, too many to mention individually but in particular I adore the servants clothes you received as a gift and the cows legs in the dairy!! I'm sad to say I have not updated my Blog since September 2012 ...so much for my resolutions when I retired. Hope all is well with you xx

    ReplyDelete