Saturday, 19 September 2015

At last, some progress.

It has been some time now since any progress was posted here and I had to read through what I'd mentioned last time to bring myself up to date.   Things have been slow with this property in my bid to finish the Tenement but that's all behind me now and I'm cracking on with Netherton.   I have so many ideas there are scraps of paper and post-its everywhere with notes on and I'm spending a ridiculous amount of time trying to get more out of the spaces I have.   As this house was custom built there are no removable walls (other than the two created in the design) so making rooms bigger or turning walls around to get doorways to the front or back is nigh on impossible.
 
I know I said last time that I would be updating you all with new pics of the Dining Room but I'm not!  I still have some accessories to add and I'm holding off until after my trip to Miniatura at the beginning of next month before showing you all the completed room.  It's maddening really as it's only two weeks away and I'm desperate for supplies but can't bring myself to do anything about that in view of the imminent trip.
 
So, while I'm marking time for the major spree I know I'm going to have, I thought I'd whet your appetites with progress in the Hall.
 
 
The Hall covers four floors and has a grand central staircase on the lower two floors.   The third floor has a much plainer staircase but not as basic as that used by the Servants in the Still Room.   This is due to the fact that the owners of this property will have to look at it as they access two of their own private rooms and the bathroom on the third floor but it will primarily be used by the servants.
 
So far I've papered and painted the central hallway and up to the third floor.   The fourth floor has also been papered but will be decorated in a plain basic manner.   If you look closely at the photo below you can see wooden "stops" on either side of the room and two just at the stair well.    There is a wall that fits in here and the space forward of this will be devoted to "something else"!   Also, and because I'm a bit anal about all this, I've decorated the corridor side of the wall, all in keeping with the rest of the space (well, you have to, don't you!).   That goes for the other side of the Bathroom wall too.
 
 
 
There is a similar arrangement on the floor below which shows the wooden "stops", the stair well and my cardboard template for the flooring (on the list for Miniatura).    This is a narrower space than the one above and will become the family Bathroom.
 
 
The whole Hallway is quite tricky to do and will, I can see, be very time consuming as all lighting has to be taken into consideration as well and I'm having to really think about the order of jobs before diving in.

I had a look at the lighting arrangement today and it took some sorting out, I can tell you.   The issue lies with the two removable back walls because once they're in, I wont be able to access anything behind them (and like the issue with the Dining Room wall, I'll be fixing it as I doubt I'll want to remove it at any time providing of course that the bulbs in the fittings on the very back of the upper Hall keep working!)    My solution to that little problem will be to remove the fitting and pull them through whichever doorway is nearest and change the bulb that way - I think!

A lot of staring is needed with this one.
 

7 comments:

  1. It is lovely to see your starting points Irene. You are so right to give yourself a lot of thinking time when they are so many different jobs to think about and plan in the correct order. A spending spree at Miniatura! A woman after my own heart. Looking forward to seeing your progress and your haul!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo Miniatura sounds great! I hope you find just the right things so we can see your progress with this house. Keep staring - you will figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Irene,
    Lovely to see a post from you. I am dying to see progress on Netherton! I know I spend an awful lot of time thinking about décor, layout and lighting before starting a room....quite a lot of it done lying in bed at night!! Quiet time :) But the thinking is needed! Anyway, have a brilliant time at Miniatura - I don't think I'll make it but good luck, and I hope you get everything you want.
    All the best
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy Miniatura! I hope you will find what you're looking for.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi :) Have a fantastic time at the fair. I am sure you will have fun looking for all the right items for your beautiful house. I cant wait to see what you purchase.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Irene,
    It is such a grand house. I love the curved opening. I hope you find all you want at Miniatura. I can't wait to see progress on yet another wonderful project.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh, Irene, exciting stuff. Lighting drives me nuts - not because it is difficult to do but because you do need to get it right. It would impossible to change your mind later. The nuts aspect is because I have fifty ideas where one will do - then you have to find the lights!!! Hope Miniatura comes up trumps - I suspect it will - so you can forge ahead and we can get to enjoy lovely, lovely creations. Now what will the mystery 'space' be?????? Marilyn

    ReplyDelete