Thank you for your lovely comments on my previous post. I think I'm almost "stared out"!
As you know, I've been putting off placing orders for supplies in view of the long awaited trip to Miniatura this weekend with the result I can't crack on with anything of any great consequence but I still wanted to mini so I did a bit of research and came across a good photo (complete with measurements) of a Post Box for the Netherton Hallway. I've always fancied having one of these in RL just for decorative purposes so until I find one, I'm happy with the mini version.
As you know, I've been putting off placing orders for supplies in view of the long awaited trip to Miniatura this weekend with the result I can't crack on with anything of any great consequence but I still wanted to mini so I did a bit of research and came across a good photo (complete with measurements) of a Post Box for the Netherton Hallway. I've always fancied having one of these in RL just for decorative purposes so until I find one, I'm happy with the mini version.
It's constructed from card, painted then varnished and the detail is embroidery thread.
The little table was put together using balsa and spindles and lives in the Dining Room.
On another note - I don't think I've given any background to this property, which helps me when I come to dress the rooms, especially as I don't put in any "people".
So, in "Irene-land" Netherton is the Town House of a big wig who sits in the House of Lords. Think more Upstairs Downstairs than Downton. He has his country pile elsewhere! I struggled for a while over this given the size of it but having the pavement settled that question and I know a Town House wouldn't have had a Dairy, especially one situated under the "area" but it was such a good idea (I thought) that I just had to put one in - especially as I had the space and all the necessary bits.
It dates from 1901 until pre-World War I. I'm still a bit woolly on that, it'll all depend on what minis I find and I'm not sure yet if he has any offspring but there's plenty of time for me to make a decision on that one.


You do make gorgeous things; the post box is lovely. As for the dairy - it is fine in your town house - your owner is just pernickity about his dairy products and doesn't want to buy from city types who can't be trusted not to adulterate them for profit. Sensible man. Marilyn (love the roses)
ReplyDeleteHello Irene,
ReplyDeleteI agree with Marilyn, you can have whatever you want in your house :) The post box is just divine, you've done a brilliant job, as usual!!
All the best
Vivian
I have to agree on that it's Your house so you can have what you want :D I love the post bog it is beautiful. I can't wait to see what you get for this wonderful house.
ReplyDeleteHugs Maria
EVERYTHING has been done before; even if it wasn't standard at the time, I am sure a dairy in a townhouse was probably done. Perhaps he lives on the edge of town? If you want it, do it.
ReplyDeleteHello Irene,
ReplyDeleteThat mail box is wonderful. Very clever of you. The finished product looks so realistic. I had never heard of them...I must be amiss in my research. I think your story is perfect for the town house. A dairy might not have been usual, but in that era I think anything goes depending on the owners. Have fun at the fair and I hope you find everything you want/ need.
Big hug
Giac
Great new addition and great work! Thank you for letting us know more about the history of your house.
ReplyDeleteGeneviève
oooh, Irene! Your postbox is lovely! Very inspiring, and a great detail. I think it's good to be 'fuzzy' about times, it gives much more scope for the imagination.
ReplyDeleteI hope you have a great time at miniatura, and find all the bits and pieces you need!
Jonquil
Hi Irene
ReplyDeleteLove you post box, it's got such character! Thanks for the background on Netherton, it's good to have a bit of back story and it helps us appreciate your thought process when we know the background. Have a great time in Miniatura, I'm still undecided as to whether I'll go.
Best wishes
Si
Wow, Irene, what a perfect little post box! Such a formal little item and so well made! I hope you have a fantastic Time at the Fair and come home with your basket Full of perfect and well chosen minis! (I really look forward to seeing what you buy!)
ReplyDelete