Yes, I know, I said I wasn't going to make another sofa! Again I couldn't find exactly what I wanted (or was prepared to pay) so out came the foamboard, logged into One Inch Minis for the instructions and here we have the last - yes, the final - sofa I will make. I don't think it has as good a finish as the earlier one I made but I'm putting that down to the fact that this one has silk upholstery and the other one doesn't. I didn't find it as easy to work with and added to that was the performance involved in keeping glue away from the parts that didn't need it - all in all, a few bad words were bandied about but it's done and looks fine - I think.
Black isn't easy to photograph but you may see that I added a trim up the front to the arms and another piece over the back corners.
This furniture is destined for The Study. A Gentleman's space for a man who likes collecting items from foreign parts, namely Egypt, and stamps.. A place where he can read the paper, have a wee dram and entertain his cronies.
The cabinet on the left has been in my stash for a few years now and is, I think, ideal for this space. I have an idea for a picture to be placed in there but more on that for another post - there's a story attached to it.
At the moment I'm trying to decide whether to go with the darker shade on the wallpaper for painting below the dado rail (something that's holding me back - getting the right colour) or going with the paler shade in the stripe which would be keeping the colour scheme in the neutral shades along with the three other public rooms.
This is turning out to be harder work than decorating the RL house!
I couldn't help but have a little play to decide furniture placement. I call the photo below "Just Chillin' ".
Lots more still to do, lights to purchase, accessories to buy but I'm enjoying this one - so far!



I like the darker sofas with the rug
ReplyDeleteThe soft furnishings came out wonderfully and the "club" look you went with is the perfect choice for gentlemen to chill! I think the arrangement is perfect and can't wait to see the masculine details you'll add. I could be of better opinion on the stripe color if I saw the two options on a sample card placed against the back walls with the furnishings in front, though my first instinct is that darker is better for a dude's space!
ReplyDeleteYour furniture making skills are BarNone Irene! I wouldn't dare take on a project like that but you have and made a very good job of it too! :D
ReplyDeleteI can feel your anticipation regarding your future "man-cave" and I am tickled to see the mannequin already settled in and enjoying it!
I know that you are still undecided about what colour to paint the wainscotting, but what I would suggest is that you paint several removable panels to match the various colours within the wallcovering. This may help you to narrow down your choices as to what goes best with your rug and existing furnishings.
Can't wait to see what you'll do next! :)
Great sofa and armchairs! Concerning your wallpaper I can understand why it's difficult to choose. The paler shade in the stripe makes the room much lighter, but I think the darker one is maybe better for a man's room/study. I can't wait to see what kinds of accessories you're going to add.
ReplyDeleteGeneviève
Dear Irene,
ReplyDeleteDespite the colourscheme of the house I would go for the darker shade of the wallpaper for the paneling. The sofa and clubchairs have come out great thanks to your efforts.
Huibrecht
Nice job on the sofa/chairs! Silk can be really tricky to work with for upholstery, as it has a tendency to slither around. I really like the way they pick up on the black in the wallpaper and in the rug. I, too, would go for the darker color in the stripe, but I also like Elizabeth's idea of painting removable panels so that you can really see before you decide.
ReplyDeleteHi Irene! I always say "never say never"... it is sure to cause you to have to eat your words! The latest upholstery looks perfect for the Gentleman's rooms! I love how they go with the carpet! and Following on the theme of a Gentleman's Study.... I would go with the darker color for the wainscot.... that would tie in to the darker color of the chairs and keep the "smoky" man's room atmosphere! I think if you used the lighter color it would feel too "feminine" to me! Keep up the great work... it is always fun to see what you are building! :)
ReplyDeleteYes, these work so well with the room. And, as someone who seems destined to own every mini settee made, I can tell you that there are never enough sofas. hahaha Lovely work! :D
ReplyDelete