Friday, 1 September 2023

On the home straight!

Hello followers.  I hope you are all well and cracking on with your minis - making better progress than me, probably!

As said in the title, this is the home straight for Netherton.   I have been working on this property since my first post here on 12th January 2012 and I have enjoyed every minute of it.

Progress has now been made on the final two rooms, The Servants' Bedroom and Linen/Sewing Room, in tandem which has taken me a bit longer but they're finally (almost) finished with just a few more accessories to add and I'm hoping that will be taken care of if I can get to the next mini Fair in York.   I wasn't able to make the June event due to rail strikes.

So, onward and firstly, here is the Servants' Bedroom -


This space measures 14" x 14" x 9 1/2" (35cms x 35cms x 24cms).   It was a tad awkward to deal with due to the slope of the wall on the right hand side but I got round that by putting in a false half wall to square it off.     Plain emulsion for these girls, nothing fancy but comfortable enough!   They are even permitted to have a couple of family photos each on the wall next to their beds.


A mug of tea and a piece of toast each is also allowed when their work is done.


To the left are their washing facilities and some accessories are still needed to fill up the cabinet.




Secondly, the Linen/Sewing Room.


This room is the same size as the Servants' Room and has the same issue with the slanted roof.    This time I created a row of cabinets to square up the space and to give me a surface.    Again, more accessories will be added soon.





Once I have these two spaces completely finished and have dealt with the little jobs that get passed over in the excitement to get on with another space, my plan is to give you a guided tour of the whole property, from the Basement up!

In the meantime, I'd like to thank you all for following me on the Netherton journey.    I've thoroughly enjoyed reading all your lovely comments.




4 comments:

  1. Hi Irene! It's wonderful to see another post from you! These last rooms are full of the kind of details I love.... social comments about "station" and lifestyles that have changed so much over the years. It may make them less "fancy" but no less fun for miniaturists who love to see small replicas of the everyday world! The "tea and toast" tray is such a lovely touch! And the Linens room.... (a whole room!) for the care of the fabrics of the household... with samples and evidence aplenty... is very revealing about a part of life we never acknowledge these days! (Just throw it out and get new ones... right?) Once it was some of the most precious of household belongings.... linen cloth well made, cared for and handed down the generations! I always look forward to seeing the wonderful specific details you assemble... and am looking forward to the detailed tour as well! I'm so glad to know you are keeping up the great work! :):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great rooms!!! The servants' bedroom is quite spacious for two beds, simple but comfortable.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two more lovely rooms Irene, well done! And how exciting to be almost done! Can’t wait to see the final tour too, to see it all at once and done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful milestone, Irene! The rooms are just filled with charming period details! I love your built-in cabinets, too! A perfect solution in an attic space! Good luck getting to the next show! I hope you find all the finishing touches you need!

    ReplyDelete