Netherton is my newest property. Purchased three years ago at NEC Birmingham, it stood there in the dining room on it's cabinet for about a year while I planned and stared and stared and planned until husband threatened to turn it into a drinks cabinet!
This is my record of a grand property set between 1901 and 1914. The name Netherton was arrived at when Nick was delving into his family history and it transpired that they owned a house (on a much smaller scale) going by that name in Kirn, a small town on the West coast of Scotland. It just seemed to fit somehow.
(Left hand side)
The house is made of plywood (which means it's horrifically heavy) and measures 4' x 4' x 16" deep (122cms x 122cms x 41cms) excluding the depth of the basement which adds a further 11" (28cms) to the front.
(Right hand side)
It has 15 rooms with corridors set at the back and various nooks and crannies placed here and there.
(Centre)
It also has a grand central feature staircase (the decorative spindles of which were added to replace wooden ones as an extra).
I've been slowly working on this property for the past two years and I can't wait to share with you my progress so far!




What a lovely house! I can't wait to see the progress. I am following all your blogs and you have a talent with these wee houses. All the best Vanessa x
ReplyDeleteAfter the great success in the decoration of Apples Tea Room, I can't wait to see how grand this property will look like! I'll be following your progress with enthusiasm!
ReplyDeleteLucia x
Wow Irene this is a project and a half!! Do you have plans for all the rooms? I can't wait to follow the progress x
ReplyDeleteHello Jackie - Thank you for following this new venture. I have plans for all bar two of the rooms. It's odd, I want to get it all done NOW but I want to savour it and take it slowly all at the same time!
DeleteWhat a grand house. Its beautiful and sooo big :) Cant wait to follow your progress.
ReplyDeleteHugs Maria
Es una casa muy bonita.Un saludo,Carmen.
ReplyDeleteThis is quite a property! I love your other projects so can't wait to see how this one progresses. Judith x
ReplyDeleteLa casa es un autentico sueño. Es preciosa. Un saludo
ReplyDeleteHello Irene,
ReplyDeleteWOW! WOW! WOW!
That has to be one the most beautiful structures, both inside and out, Ive seen in a long while.
I'm so excited and can't wait to see more pictures. I can only imagine what someone of your talent can do to such a great structure.
All the best,
Giac
Es preciosa la casa, ademas me encanta la época en la que estará inspirada¡¡¡¡ Espero sus avances. Un saludo, Carmen
ReplyDeleteOh wow! Fantastic house Irene! Beautiful staircase, and I love how some of the stairs are set in a back hallway. It will be a great project for you to make and for us to follow.
ReplyDeleteWow, that's what was your mysterious new project ... Yeah I love, how and more than others :-)
ReplyDeleteYou, with your four properties, you make me feel guilty for not being able to take off with my half project ...
Mini hugs my friend,
Flora
Wow, it will certainly keep you busy decorating and filling it! What a lovely house! I wish I had the room for something as big! What an interesting way to name the house too! + love the stairs. Can't wait to see the progress on this house!
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy to see your new blog and to discover your new project. It is a very interesting one and a huge one. I love the staircase. I'm sure you'll find a lot of inspiration in books, I love reading about the stories of families during this period. It's wonderful that you'll be able to relate it to your family.
ReplyDeleteGeneviève
Congratulations for your new blog.
ReplyDeleteThe house is fantastic. It will be my pleasure to follow your work in it.
Hugs
Irene this house looks great, lots of rooms full of promise, I will be keeping a close eye on this project, you've set yourself a big challenge to improve on what you've done already!
ReplyDeleteregards
Andy
Irene, que mansíon!! es magnifica,enhorabuena por tu nuevo blog.
ReplyDeleteBesos de las Malu´s
Hello Irene!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful House! You have us all on edge wondering what you have done so far.
Can't wait to see!
Warm Whishes from Ray
Gosh... that's a labour of love!
ReplyDeleteReally like the central feature staircase.
Looking forward to seeing it develop.....
Sandra
Oh Dios mío, es una casa enorme!! Me muero de ganas por ver los avances que hagas en ella!! Estoy seguro de que será una casa maravillosamente hermosa!! Un abrazo enorme y enhorabuena!!
ReplyDeleteIt's a wonderful project (if somewhat on a mammoth scale!). I don't envy you doing this house just because of its size. Nonetheless it is a wonderfully well proportioned house and I just love that staircase!!!! It will be a labour of love that I hope will keep you transfixed to it for a long while!
ReplyDeleteMy Hogwarts is about this size, less rooms, but the rooms there are just bigger. I cut it in half...to make my life easier as I got tired working on something large. Please don't fall out of love with this beautiful house! ;o)
Michelle xx
Dear Irene,
ReplyDeleteThis is fabulous!! What a grand house, I love the staircase. There seems to be nothing small about this house, what a lot of rooms with endless possibilities. You are going to have so much fun.
I cant wait to see the next post!!!!
Fi xx
Another WOW! It`s a beautiful house, love the stairs. Looking forward to follow your work here too.
ReplyDeleteCongratulation on your new blog!
Mona
How exciting, Irene! YAY!!! OMG, it's as big as a real house! I can't wait to see more --best of luck, my dear!
ReplyDeleteWOW, Irene! More like "GRAND and Stately!" This is going to be a Magnificent House! Talk about Patience.... but it sure pays off... you think through the details and come up with the BEST results! I can't wait to see more! Congratulations on the "Reveal"! What a Gorgeous House! (Drinks Cabinet INDEED!!!) Well, maybe it got you going! Very VERY Beautiful!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great house!
ReplyDeleteYou have a lot of nice work with it, for a long time!
I´ll follow the progress for sure!
Lena!
What a wonderful house Irene,hope to see more in the future! Lots to do ,but also much fun ;-)! Hugs,Jeannette
ReplyDeleteomg woman!!! Small? and stately its huge and fabulous!!! woohooo cant wait to follow this one :D Linda xxx
ReplyDeleteThank you everyone - you've all got me off to a very good start. I do appreciate you following. I'm full of ideas for this one - I only hope my skills live up to it all.
ReplyDeleteI'm also trying to work out why my Comments font is so small. If anyone knows what I can do to make it the same size as the main page font, I'd be grateful.
Hi Irene,
DeleteSister Valerie here (I'm the sibling, not a nun.)
I thought your font size was 'small and stately' ha ha.
I've seen this for real and it's eye popping.
Vx
hi Irene,
ReplyDeleteWhat a stunning property: Netherton Hall. A bit daunting.. where do you begin! It is a work of love.It will be a pleasure to follow your progress!
best wishes
Margot
¡Impresionante!
ReplyDeleteSaludos
Rosa
What a huge house! You will be very busy filling those rooms.
ReplyDeleteWhat a gorgious house, i love the staircase and the windows. You will have a lovely time decorating it. I am also working on a big house, for two years now, i only work on it when i have inspiration and feel like it.
ReplyDeleteI am going to follow you, i would love to see how you decorate this huge project.
Hugs
Maria
Huge!!! Now you need some years to fill this house, fantastic!
ReplyDeleteGreetz,
Ilona
Small and stately?????? Ha....this is one very large property!! I LOVE it! It will be fun to see what you do with it!! Such great potential in every room!!!!
DeleteHello what a fantastic house the staircase is just wonderful look forward to what you do to this one.
ReplyDeleteLovely home. I love the timeperiod. Can't wait to see what you do with it!
ReplyDeleteIt's absolutely beautiful Irene! What an exciting project! x
ReplyDelete