Friday, 10 February 2012

Paint with possibilities


I'm straying away from the overall decorating of Netherton with this post to tell you about this paint I came across.   In the UK the trade name is "Humbrol" although there's every possibility it's available elsewhere or there is something that does the same job under another name in different countries.

Anyway, I needed a kickplate for a door I was working on and didn't want a brass coloured one. So I decided to make one (not a difficult task!)



A thin piece of balsa cut to size.


Next, painted with this Humbrol paint. No undercoat, just go for it with two coats.


When the paint is dry, and using a piece of kitchen roll, rub the finish and it comes up metallic.


It's excellent stuff for making wood look like metal and I think could be put to lots of different uses.

15 comments:

  1. Hi Irene, thankyou for sharing this tip! In Holland Humbrol is also available. I wonder is metal cote of Humbrol unlike the ordinary Humbrol?
    Greetings, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ilona. The Metal Cote looks exactly the same as ordinary Humbrol when it's painted on, it's the buffing that works the magic! I tried it on plastic as well and it works with that too.

      Delete
  2. Did you use the matt one? Humbrol yes, there is another make...all oil based paints that need white spirit to clean your brushes, the downside! lol

    I've used the galvanised one for all sorts of things...infact I use the matt black one to give the appearance of aged and dirtied metal. I apply and then rub off with a cloth after a few minutes.

    Wonderful idea Irene! It's all the little details that make all the difference but not necessary with the price tag to match! :o)))

    Michelle xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Michelle, that's the matt one. I came across it quite by accident (which is often the way) and now find myself thinking of other things I could use it for.

      Delete
  3. How do you do it Irene?? Successfully running three Blogs!!
    The door looks great, well done. And thanks for the tip x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a handy little item to have tucked away in the work box. I couldn't manage three blogs at this pace normally - Netherton is easy at the moment as all the work that you're seeing was done a couple of years ago and I can just dip into my photo files. The long term plan is to whittle them down to one main one - S & S. I'm pleased you're enjoying them. IX

      Delete
  4. Irene, I LOVE the bolt hardware on this door! Where do you get it? It is SO PERFECT! I will have to investigate whether we have Humbrol over here... but I'm sure there is something similar by a different name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it Daydreamer (I've sent you an email).

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you - I'm loving what you're doing too!

      Delete
  6. Hi Irene,

    Thats a great tip, I will have to look out for it here. I too love the bolt hardware.

    So you have a whole S&S up your sleeve, It's a very big house so you must have been busy for a while, so many rooms. I cant wait to see them all!

    ML Fi xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant tip, Irene -- I'm adding Humbrol metal cote to bring back from the UK in May (unless I find it here ...) Always a delight to see what you're up to!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Irene, I've just seen all these new posts, think I have aproble with my blog dashboard, it's not updating me on people's blogs! ;(

    I haven't seen Humbrol Metalcote before, Just usual Humbrol enamals, would a special model shop sell it?

    Love the door!!

    regards
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Andy. I got my Humbrol from a model shop that does remote control boy toys (!) so I imagine anywhere like that would have some. If you can't lay your hands on it and you're keen to get a tin, I can always arrange to send one down.

      Delete