Thursday, 29 March 2012

The Basement staircase.

Now that they've got a spiffy new front door, I had to give the servants a means of access.   The stairs originally purchased with this property weren't really what I wanted after all so, and because there were stairs held over from another project, I had a go at putting together a couple of sets myself.


Then of course, they needed a handrail.   For some silly reason I got fixed on using spindles (obviously blinded by the fact that the picture I was using as reference had spindles) and I spent ages thinking about the best way to work that out until I had a light bulb moment when it dawned on me that I didn't have to religously copy the reference photo and that spindles were not absolutely necessary.  Therefore, with the help of some kebab sticks and skinny dowel, and only three spindles they now look like this although they're not permanently fixed in yet:


A view down into the area on the left:


A servant's eye view from inside:


and the right hand side.   I'm not sure if the coal bunker and log store will stay in that space but for the moment I'm happy to keep them there.

10 comments:

  1. What beautiful, and what do you have a wonderful blog.
    The wall and the floor tiles are very beautiful and the railings on the stairs too.

    A very fine evening, greetings, Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stairs look great, and I really like the simple handrail, it looks just right for stairs leading to a basement. Sounds like that doorbell of theirs had given your servents some funny high status ideas!! ;D

    I love how you think carefully about the details on this project!

    Regards
    Andy xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Irene, I lchuckled to myself when I read about your dilema with the spindles! Its so funny how you can get utterly fixated with a tiny detail to the point that it obscures everything else. Well done for breaking free from it LOL
    I love all the small details and the colours you have chosen.
    Best wishes
    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your staircase and the railing. Everything looks so real.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  5. Irene your stairs are wonderful that handrail is perfect. Fantastic work I love it. The logs and coal bunker look great where you have them.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  6. The handrail looks fantastic. Great work!

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. That handrail is inspired! I always get hung-up on spindles also, but sometimes they are just not the right thing! Great to have another option.

    Did you use an ordinary acrylic enamel paint to paint them, or something special?

    Cheers,
    Iris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone.

    Iris - I think I used the Humbrol enamel paint in Satin finish - not for any particular reason, other than that's what I had handy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Irene,
    I think your miniatrues could be used as movie sets...everything looks so real. The stonework is very eefective and the handrail turned out beutiful. You are so incredibly talented! Great Job...but don't expect anything less from you!
    Hugs,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Irene,

    I love a light bulb moment!!

    I think your hand rails are perfect for the setting. And Giac is right, your miniatures could be movie sets. You think of every last detail. I love the coal bunker and logs, it really sets the sene.

    Fi xx

    ReplyDelete