Thursday, 15 March 2012

The Basement

Although that's the exterior of the building dealt with, there's still the actual basement or the "area" as it was known, to decorate.   This is the servant's entrance.

As the basement is attached to the house, it opens in three sections with arches dividing each area.

The back walls were painted in the same finish as the house and a deep "skirting" with coving was added to give a bit detail and to match up with the outside of the basement. For the walkway fibre glass sheet flagstones were used.  


(I hasten to add, the raggedy edge shown is not there now - that was just a test piece put in to see the effect)

Once that was laid the walls had to be tackled.   To do this, and because of the arches leading through to each section, paper templates were cut and dealt with as individual pieces.    As luck would have it, I found an Edinburgh property on the market for sale with a picture of the basement area giving just the detail I needed.   This showed the walls as bare stone.   To do this I used Bromley Craft Products stencil and compound which I already had in my stash. That was the easy part!



This is the effect you get immediately after removing the stencil. It then had to be sanded and painted, using acrylic paint, to achieve what I hoped would be a realistic looking stone wall. This took some time, I may say, and heaven knows how many times this was repainted just to get the required effect but eventually I think I've achieved this and I'm happy with it.


There was just one little final touch - a pair of nesting housemartins.


12 comments:

  1. Dear Irene,
    It's looking great. That repainting is terrible. When you think you're ready it starts all over again. But you did a wonderful job. It's looking realistic. So your work did pay off.
    Greetings,
    Dorien

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Irene,
    As always, your work never fails to impress. The stonework looks beautiful and very realisitc. Great job and great technique! I LOVE the housemartins...what a lovely touch!
    Keep up the great work Irene, you are always a source of great inspiration.
    Hugs,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stone wall looks fantastic wonderful job. I love the little nest and birds beautiful touch.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it looks great so far, love the walls and the nest is a fab idea.:o)

    I've used fibre glass brick work and was impressed with it..you can age it too! lol

    I have Bromley Craft stencil for brickwork, not used it yet but I want to. Just a matter of having a go!

    Michelle :o))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the detail of the birds nest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Irene,

    Great work on the stones...they're very realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the little birds. the stonework is very impressive--it looks so real! I like the fibre glass sheet flagstones--where did you get them?

    Cheers,
    Iris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work! I really love seeing your progress.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  9. Irene,

    my mind boggles at the hours you have spent on Netherton. You have done a great job of the stone, it looks very realistic. Fabulous!

    Fi x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Irene, Superb work! I love the little nesting house martins, a nice little touch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks wonderful Irene, well done. I love the nesting birds. Such a perfect touch. I hope you had fun in Birmingham, I can't wait to see what you bought.
    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your stonework has turned out beautifully -- well worth the effort! And I love your house martins :)

    ReplyDelete