Monday, 23 February 2015

A little Dining Room update

Gosh, it's been a while since this was updated, isn't it?   I do have an excuse though.   I set this one aside in order to finish my Hambleton Hall property.   I'm also in the process of finishing my Tenement project so I've not been idle.
 
I fancied the idea of creating window seats in the Dining Room of Netherton and although I haven't yet completed either the Kitchen or the Still Room, I had to crack on and do some creating while the ideas were still fresh.   Also, after reading both Giac's blog and that of Jean Claude I was keen to have a go with card/foam board.
 
 
This is my attempt which is still in quite a raw state although it has been painted.   The panel along the front is the cabinetry for the central heating.   The window seats have still to be upholstered and the curtains put in place.
 
It's quite an interesting room, the Dining Room, although the floor space is slightly smaller than that of all the other rooms.
 
 
There isn't a wall that doesn't have something on it.   The left hand window will have to be "arched" to match it up with those at the front, the back wall - with it's two doors - can't take a fireplace (it's a good thing they've got central heating) because the Servant's Staircase runs up behind it.   The staff entry door is to the left and the door to the right is a deep cupboard (containing something - yet to be thought of) and the door to the far right is the main entry to the room from the Hallway.
 
I have one issue with this room which is mincing the brain and that is how to place the cornice in such a way that I can remove the back wall to access the staircase - if I need to.   It could be a tricky one OR I could just fix it in permanently and hope for the best.   Still thinking about that.
 

8 comments:

  1. This looks to be a good idea Irene, especially since there isn't room for a fireplace, the arched windows will provide some great architectural interest to the room.

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irene, a little suggestion re the cornice. You could cut the wall. Eg, attach the cornice to the wall as per usual, then carefully cut the wall horizontally, creating two parts. You could cut right on the bottom edge of the cornice, so the join would be obscured by the cornice, or in line with the tops of the doors. Or you could cut vertically. Again, attach the cornice then make two vertical cuts in line with the door edges, cutting right through the cornice. This might work better if you used striped wallpaper. Anyway, just some thoughts! Good luck! Look forward to seeing how you solve this problem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Irene,
    I love this room! It really has so much terrific detail. Is it possible to cut the back wall so it slips under the cornice? That way the cornice can be attached to the ceiling. I am really excited about this wonderful room.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Irene
    I love an interesting room and this proves to be a good 'un! Re the cornice, have you considered not using cornice?? How about one of those printed paper cornice sheets (like a mural effect) like the ones on Jennifers of Walsall? There are some beautiful options and it would allow the whole wall to be removed in one go?
    Si x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your arched windows look great. I am looking forward to seeing how you finish them. What a very interesting room. I cant wait to see what in-genies ideas you come up with :) Its great to see you back.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Irene. This looks like it will be a lovely, light-filled room. Good sized dining table too. The doors on each side give the room a balance, and I like it when the are architectural details on all the walls, it adds interest. Not sure about the cornice/backwall problem, the best I can suggest is to have it so it can slide in and out if possible.

    Good luck!
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Irene, can't find your email address - have just been going through this blog to see if I can identify the house you started with. I am on the search for a large long-lasting project and this house looks like it would be it - can you tell me what it is or whose it is??? Many thanks, Marilyn O
    PS have quit on quarter scale before I got going and want to get back to 1/12ths... miss it

    ReplyDelete
  8. don't know where your chimneys are but in georgian/regency houses it was commonplace to have a fireplace with a door either side - often one of them would be a false door - just there so everything was symmetrical. Again don't know other complexities of your layout, but you could get in a plain Georgian fireplace.
    Marilyn O

    ReplyDelete