Friday, 8 May 2015

Another Dining Room update

I can't believe almost a quarter of the year has passed since my last update!

Firstly, thank you to all who took the time to think about and offer suggestions on what I could do with my back wall - to fix or not to fix, that was the question.  
 
Simon - I deliberated long and hard over your suggestion regarding paper and I found some lovely ones that would have been ideal.   (I also remembered you had used the same idea showing panelling in one of your rooms and that image has stayed with me.   It's something I may very well use at a later date, so thank you!)
 
It's taken me this long, with much staring, to finally decide on fixing it.  
 
This is what the back wall looks like before I add the wall with the doors - 
 
 
When I started playing, obvious things presented themselves over and above the cornicing, ie. the skirting boards, the left hand window frame plus the biggest factor - would I ever remove it anyway?   I really can't see me needing to get to the staircase behind the wall and as for the lighting - well, the wires exit the room via the back wall and while I have a light fixture in the right hand cupboard I've hopefully got it positioned so that I can reach in and change the bulb.   (A lot of fiddling went on while I practised that manoeuvre just to see if it was possible).
 
I've also finally decided on what to do with my right hand cupboard - shelve it!
 
 
As you can see I've painted the inside of the cupboard and the shelves with a mustard-y yellow paint and edged them with gold.   I'll be using my upcoming trip to the Kensington Dolls House Fair next weekend to search for suitable dishes (and many other things too!) and this is how it looks now with the wall in place (but not permanently fixed yet).
 
 
Once I was satisfied that it all looked ok, out came the wall again and I had a little play.   I also decided to have a go at creating little over door plaques as the space available at either end of the wall was limited had I wanted to fit in a fancy pediment with matching door surrounds.
 
 
 
 
The lighting isn't completely wired in and the plaques aren't glued in place yet but I'm happy with it so far.   There was also a great debate going on in my head as to whether the detail in the plaque should show the ribbon at the top or the bottom!    By doing it this way, it mirrors the arch of the windows.
 
 
There was also a wee catastrophe to deal with when I attempted to close the main door on this side of the house.   I hadn't allowed enough space for the section with the window seats to clear the floor so it all had to be taken apart, an amount shaved off the bottom and all put back together again.   I also took the opportunity of repainting the "heating grille" as I wasn't happy with the varnished finish.   The curtains were also moved from being fixed to the window itself to appearing as hung under the window arches which also received a frame.   The chairs were also upholstered in a co-ordinating fabric.
 


 
So this is how it all looks at the moment.    Roll on Kensington!
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

10 comments:

  1. Irene, it all looks just gorgeous! I love the false wall at the back, but I am a fan of this kind of 'improvement' anyway :) Your colours are classic and the whole room just exudes a very stylish grandeur. I love it. Your posts are always a joy to read!
    All the best
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Irene! I think I missed your post about the wall! I guess you have made the right decision... the need for access being limited. It looks really elegant so far! The symmetrical layout is very "stately". (lol!) I think the whole room is going to come alive when you start to accessorize it. I can't wait to see what you get at the Fair.... your purchases are always so perfectly tailored to the room and the "story" you are telling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful miniatures ..!!! Beautiful the false door ..!!!
    Compliments ..!!!
    Hugs,
    elvira

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOooohhh, its lovely, well done you. The thing about this game, I find, is that we spend days mithering about solutions to things and then once they are actually done you wonder why - 'cos it was obvious this was it. It looks lovely. Is the carpet a 'Turkish' woven one? I am having trouble finding large ones. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Irene it's lovely - what a transformation and as always just perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your room is gorgeous. I love the wall plaques they are very elegant. I cant wait to see what you buy at the fair.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Irene.
    The cupboard on the left is the ideal solution to fill the opposite side of the wall from the main door, and I love a bit of symmetry, and it's all completed with the wall plaques. I also really like the muted colours you are going for - they show off accessories better and work well with the warm tones of the floor.
    I can't wait to see it with the lights on...
    Si

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lot of progress! I love the door opening on shelves and the way you dressed the windows. It's going to be a great room.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the cupboard!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Irene,
    I love this room. The 2 doors at each end of the wall are wonderful and create such a perfect balance. the room is elegant and very welcoming. I love the plasterwork over the doors. Well done Irene, it is beautiful.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete