As promised (some time ago!) here is my finished Dining Room. I thought a lot about whether to add a tablecloth or not and even considered a halfway measure in the form of table mats but the shape of the table meant they didn't sit as well as I'd like so in the end I decided to go without. There were a few bits to add and a few bits to tweak before getting to this stage but it's all done now and given that I had no preconceived idea of what this room was going to look like when I started, I'm pleased with the way it's turned out.
Going round the room from left to right
The drawers are lined with green baize and the top drawer contains cutlery, napkins and napkin rings.
Tablecloths in the bottom drawer but nothing, as yet in the middle drawer as I was struggling to think of something but it will get filled, I'm sure, eventually.
The servant's entrance/exit leading downstairs to the Still Room
The green baize door and dumb waiter
The china closet
The centre decoration on the table is my gift from Jeffrey's give-away.










What a brilliant dining room, Irene! So much to look at, never mind the perfect layout. My favourite part is the green baze on the back of the door, the tiny pins are a work of so love the colour of your furniture. It has a lovely look to it all.
ReplyDeleteTake care
Si
Fantastic Irene! So much detail. Trying to think of ideas for your middle drawer but not getting much. Maybe some spare candles? A candle snuffer? Napkins? Might be a good excuse to visit an old house that's open to the public!
ReplyDeleteWonderful. I love how you did the areas most of us forget like the china closet, servant entrance and dumb waiter not to mention filling the drawers!
ReplyDeleteIt is so so so lovely! Hugs from Sweden
ReplyDeleteIt's all marvelous, but I love the little closets...that green door is divine! :D
ReplyDeleteSimply wonderful. Like touring a modest NT property that is still lived in. It is so real. I have always loved the fact that you fill drawers. It is such attention to detail that makes or breaks a creation..... Baize linings, baize door, other room 'off'..... Perfection. Always trying to reach your standards, marilyn
ReplyDeleteA very beautiful room. I love the exquisite silverware on the sidetable and the servant entrance. I also love the wooden screen and the carpet. Everything looks rich and elegant. Thanks for sharing
ReplyDeletethese marvelous photos.
Woooo un comedor fantástico, has pensado en todos los detalles , incluso llenar cajones . Eselegante a la vez sobrio. Felicidades, me encanta. Feliz semana:-)
ReplyDeleteHi Irene
ReplyDeleteYou should feel very proud of your dining room, everything looks perfect. I especially like the China closet, servants entrance and the filled drawers. Very nice, well done.
Jayne c
Hi Irene! Your dining room looks Wonderful! I LOVE the screen in the corner hiding the service door! And the lined drawers are just the kind of touch I always marvel at! You think of Everything!!! Perhaps the middle drawer needs to hold extra candles... and doilies for under the tea tray.... or stacks of napkins.... and place card holders! I know you will find the most amazing and perfect items!!!
ReplyDeleteWow Irene I love your dining room it is gorgeous. The wonderful details in the drawers make your room so real. The screen is beautiful. The dumb waiter and the green door amazing. Wonderful work I love it.
ReplyDeleteHugs Maria
Absolutely stunning! I love the way you add the perfect details like the cutlery and napkins in the drawer and the green baize door. The china closet is fantastic.
ReplyDeleteGeneviève
it looks lovely and welcoming... the colours are really rich, I can imagine sipping an after dinner brandy there (although, at that time, I'd be relegated to the drawing room with the other ladies, ppff...). I love the screen, it lends a slightly exotic, colonial look. But my favourite thing has to be the filled drawers... you always go the extra distance to make things feel authentic and surprising!
ReplyDeleteOff to contemplate all of my completely empty drawers... oh yes, and I spy the port on the mantlepiece!
Hi Irene! I am AMAZED at the lengths that you will go to making Every Detail count! Most people, would be content to have drawers ( empty), no closets and tables unlaid, but not you! The cutlery and linen that fills the chest, is Marvelous, but the china displayed inside the closet is such an EXTRAVAGANCE! The look that it presents is Fabulous but I would be loathe to have it tucked away, but seeing the stacked plates and the tea service and the light which showcases it all, gives it even MORE impact than if it were laid out on the table. I am soooo impressed with your display.
ReplyDeleteAlso love the quiet elegance of your dining table and the general ambience of the entire room.
The back of the service door with it's hob nail detail is yet another Incredible indicator of your dedication to authenticity.
All in all, you've presented a tiny Masterpiece! :D
elizabeth
Hi There,
ReplyDeleteI love the the top drawer and the china closet, this looks great! Especially when lights are turned on! It looks so real, stunning.