I'm sharing this little item with you now because I'm so pleased with the way it turned out I just can't wait until the rest of the Bathroom is done before letting you see it.
A bit of background first. Spouse and I are great ones for doing the Stately Homes thing and I buy and keep every single guide book from every property we have been to - five box files, in fact. They're very handy for going through when hunting for inspiration and I did that recently when looking for bathroom ideas for Netherton.
Pouring through the guide book for Erddig, Wrexham, UK I came across a photo of a 19th Century portable shower. Well, it had to be done and this is my version.
According to the guide book, the process involved in having a shower was as follows -
"It worked by releasing hot water from the cylindrical tank above, supported on pipes painted to imitate bamboo. The water was then recirculated by use of the hand-pump".*
I used a variety of bits including kebab sticks, plastic pots and a cardboard container.
The tap was purchased from Sussex Crafts and is just perfect for the job.
The reason it has found a place in an early 20th Century bathroom is because it was discovered, by Netherton's owners, in the attic and was considered far too nice a piece to have hidden away.
There wont be much more bathroom progress for a little while as I've got the furniture to paint but work is almost finished in the Hall so that's what you'll be seeing next - hopefully!
* Erddig guide book - National Trust, with thanks for their permission to use the relevant quote.



Jamais je n'aurais pensé qu'il existait des douches si ancienne. Votre réalisation est incroyable! C'est une réussite et je suis impatient de voir la suite de votre salle de bain.
ReplyDeleteNon avevo mai sentito parlare di una doccia arcaica.....il nostro hobby è davvero utile per ampliare le conoscenze! Geniale!!!
ReplyDeleteHello Irene, what a wonderful piece of engineering....and so pretty too! You always seem to find just the right piece that makes all the difference to your rooms. Beautiful!
ReplyDeleteAll the best
Vivian
Wow Irene wonderful piece. You have done a fantastic job on it love it.
ReplyDeleteHugs Maria
This is a fantastic piece of miniature for your bathroom. I had never seen one like this in real life. We always learn a lot with your posts.
ReplyDeleteGeneviève
Nice work Irene! What a cool contraption! Pretty effective, even if they had to pump it back up by hand.
ReplyDeleteWow, Irene, this is utterly amazing and unique!!! What a fantastic project! And such a rare machine in the first place! Your creation is beyond fascinating!!! I love how much you delve into the history to "accessorize" your projects!!! Fantastic work!
ReplyDeleteIngenious as always! They could do with one of those at Glastonbury!
ReplyDeleteHello Irene,
ReplyDeleteI have seen many Victorian portable showers in my research, and I must say yours is perfect! It looks exactly like the ones I have studied. Bravo! You did a great job putting it together.
Big hug
Giac
Wonderful. the painting is so, so clever - they needed you back then to disguise their pipes. Marilyn
ReplyDeleteYou are so Clever and your shower turned out Beautifully! :D
ReplyDeleteelizabeth
I always wondered whether they had showers that early, and now I know ;-) What a wonderful and unique piece for you house! What is the ruffled edge on the container? Is it cloth to make it watertight?
ReplyDeleteI'm so pleased you like this, Josje. The ruffled edge is nothing more than decorative. There was something fancy on the rim of it in the original photograph and I just added my own version.
DeleteThank you everyone for your lovely and positive comments regarding my little shower. They are very much appreciated.
ReplyDeleteWhen I initially saw it, I just knew it had to be done and it turned out better than I expected.