Friday, 12 February 2016

At last, an update!

I've been a terribly bad blogger of late, reading posted updates of all your blogs and telling myself I'll post comments later and of course later didn't come.   I'm trying to catch up and will do so eventually but suffice to say you're all doing great things and I will comment - honest!

I've not been idle in the mini department.   My problem lay in trying to decorate a space at the top of Netherton - definitely the wrong way to do it as I had to work on the room below first in order to get the lighting fitted underneath the flooring above.   What a palaver that was in terms of waiting on deliveries, waiting on inspiration and making time to deal with it all, especially as I was itching to see a result.

Do you remember me showing you this?  


It sits below the Upper Hall, like this -


As you can see, the top space is slightly bigger than the one underneath so I decided to create a family bathroom in the lower space and had great ideas for the space above.    It was the flooring on this space above that was holding up proceedings as I couldn't lay it because I didn't have the lighting for the bathroom.    In order to get the lighting in place, I had to decorate the room first as it would have been a tad awkward putting paper in place with a light fitting dangling down!   Of course if I was going to paper, I had to paint and if I had to paint I would be as well fitting cornices and trim, etc.   See........a palaver!

I'm pleased to say that all that is behind me now and I can now show you the fruits of my labours - well, at least some of them.   Here is the decorated bathroom.    I have the suite but it needs a bit work and I have all the accessories to get and that will be my next project (after finishing the main Hall!) but it does at least let me get on with the rooms I started and really need to work on.


The "tiling" was purchased from Jennifers of Walsall on my trip to the York Fair in November and the lighting is by Ray Storey.   The flooring was purchased from an online seller.


You may recall, in an earlier post, I was going to do "something else" in the space above the bathroom well, that something else was to divide it into three.


This would give me a Housemaid's Closet, a Servant's Passage and "another room".

First, the Housemaid's Closet.


Here, we have the benefit of a hot water heater, all the Housemaid's necessities are to hand, cloths are drying on the little rack, there's a slop bucket under the sink, the keys to various rooms are on a nearby hook and her mop and bucket stand ready for use.   Her pinny hangs on the back of the door and there's also a clock to make sure she doesn't take too long over any job.



Moving through the door to the Servant's Corridor........


This is a very plain space providing no distractions.   Once I'd finished it I then decided some sort of surface was called for, useful for laying things on while attending to other matters so I came up with this.   A half round fold down table.


It's not really a fold down table as I couldn't work out how to deal with the bracket and at the same time enable it to move sideways in order for the flap to drop.   At the moment it's there by sheer luck and I think I'll fix it in place because how often will I be moving the thing up and down?    Never!














12 comments:

  1. Great work!!! The bathroom is fabuluous, I can't wait to see the furniture you're going to add, plus the accessories. The housemaid's closet is full of wonderful and true details.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah ah ah ... I see that we have more or less the same problem of inertia ... Anyway, what I can judge, your inertia only affects blogging, because you have worked hard and well, on Netherton . You have an incredible ability to perfectly decorate the narrow spaces. I stay every time admired. And then, you can think of all the accessories even before you have completed the room. Another skill that I envy ... The set looks gorgeous, as always :-) I adore the half round shelf. Love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Irene! Your new rooms are Marvelous and the bathroom in particular is going to be FAB! I love your tiling and the layout of the bathroom so I can hardly wait until your fixtures and fitting are installed. You have such a way with getting period rooms RIGHT! :D
    Also the 3 small rooms above are again, tiny marvels. I'm enjoying the maids closet where so many Wonderful details are on display. Love the old crate under the sink unit and the pinny on the back of the door. I LOVE your attention to the extra and small details that make your house projects - LIVABLE! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving it all Irene. Again, lots of work has gone into these rooms and they look great. I love those (World Model?) tiles and have used some myself. I think they turn out really well. And your fold down shelf was a great idea. I don't think it really needs to fold to look right - kind of like a fire or running water in a dollhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are forgiven for not blogging much, have been guilty as well, you have put a lot of work into your house, it is great x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bathroom is gorgeous and I am looking forward to seeing it with all the fittings. I love the housemaids closet it is fantastic. I can imagine servants in and out doing their daily chores :) The fold down table looks great. I love seeing your updates.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely house you have! So nice and well done :)
    Hugs from Sweden/
    Josefin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Irene! This all looks really fantastic! It was surely worth the wait for all the right bits to come together! Sometimes those things that have to be done before something else can be done can make the whole project even better when you finally get at all together! I love the servant's closet! As usual you have filled it with all the little details and bits we LOVE to see in mini but would just as soon hide away in RL!!! LOL! And the hallway that you had to finish first is such a great feature, just open that door onto the stairway and it makes the mini world so much more real! I always love it when there are back passages and back stairs that are actually there! (My Victorian cupboard House will have a working Dumb-waiter when I eventually get back to building it!) The tiling in the bath also looks positively regal! I can't wait to see what else you will add!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Irene
    Your bathroom is lovely, and I always love how you use your space to create an interesting feel to a room. Your final little details in the maid's room are so thoughtful and give a very authentic finish. Brilliant work, as usual!
    All the best
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant solution as always, Irene!
    Hope you are keeping well.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Irene,
    More fantastic, period appropriate rooms! They look just beautiful and I love the tile you chose. It is a very graceful bathroom. The 3 smaller rooms are a stroke of genius...I can't wait to see more.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hard to add to the other comments other than another "well done you", It is all just gorgeous and brilliant and so detailed and 'lived in'. The drop-down table has to stay up because I want to see what 'clobber' one of your servants has parked on it in passing - old candles? dirty linen? kindling for the fires? old newspapers?.... well one of them not all.... You are very, very talented. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete