Thursday, 1 September 2016

Suite success

What do you do when you've purchased your wallpaper and flooring and have hunted high and low for furniture to tone in and at the right price but can't find anything?   You do it yourself!   (Perhaps I should have bought the furniture first as it's much easier to find a paper to match, but I didn't).

I quite fancied a Knole sofa and scoured the internet and it was after seeing a few that I began to think "I could make that".    So, out came the foamboard.


This was a dummy run to check scale but it didn't look right so after chopping bits off the height and depth, it morphed into a Chesterfield.   I liked that so added a chair.


I had a couple of goes at creating the buttoned back but try as I might, the effect kept getting lost when the fabric was taken over the back and arms so I decided to abandon that idea.


My assistant brought along her friend to check for scale and proportion


After fitting the seat pads, I decided to ignore the fact that their feet didn't touch the ground - a foot stool would take care of that little issue, and besides - they wont be staying.   Once they've finished their tea - they're out!

So, here it is - my three piece Chesterfield suite which took ten days out of my life and I doubt I will make another one but it worked and I'm a happy bunny.




I have to say, I didn't do this all on my own.   Whilst not making a standard easy chair, I followed (diligently) the various instructions provided by Kris.   Her very detailed photos and instructions were exceptionally helpful and very clear to follow so "thank you" Kris for that tutorial.

12 comments:

  1. Just fabulous - still think you should go into production!! Poor little old lady moved from pillar to post with her cuppa - no wonder no-one lives in your houses. I have a real life friend whose little legs dingly dangle from my settee so that's just fine. They are lovely Irene, applause, applause. marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irene, once again I am stunned by the attention to detail you always give to all your projects! The 'studding' to the furniture is a fabulous touch.
    All the best
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Irene! I think your three piece suite looks amazing! Those nail studs are particularly impressive... as are the clean lines and no puckers at the corners! I have yet to try my hand at fancy 1:12 upholstery... so far all my pieces have been really tiny or really rustic! LOL! I can't wait to see these with the paper you had already chosen! Fantastic work as usual!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They came out beautifully Irene! Isn't it frustrating when you just can't find what you need? At least you were brave enough and persistent enough to finish them. Your little helpers are pretty pleased too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there HAPPY BUNNY!!! :D
    Yes, and you should be Very proud- I am proud of you too- WOW Irene!!!
    A TOP NOTCH job on Everything! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Irene,
    The set looks terrific. You really did a great job and I'm happy you went for it. The studding is a really beautiful detail and you got the fabric just right. It is not bulky and the lines of the couch are very elegant. As usual, you inspire me!
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job, Irene!
    I am very impressed by your handiwork - though I'm not sure I have the patience you do.
    It's so nice to see your mini people helping out, they always give such a good idea of scale and add a lot of interest.
    Best wishes
    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Irene your suite is gorgeous. I love the fabric and stud detail. Awesome work. I cant wait to see more of your wonderful work.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent work! You're very talented, I don't think I would be able to make furniture.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  10. Worth your ten days!I like the sophisticated look and the neat finished look!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work Irene, well done, it looks lovely. At least your "helpers" got a cup of tea out of it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so pleased you all like my little suite - it's very encouraging so thank you everyone! As said, I don't think I'll be making another set but......I do feel tempted to have another go at Lea Frisoni's Louis chair created from card. I've done that already and found her instructions equally impressive. On the other hand....I might just find exactly what I need at Miniatura. I feel as though things are on hold at the moment due to my imminent trip.

    ReplyDelete