Tuesday, 7 March 2017

The Great Chair Debate

It's been a wee while since I last posted here but I'm afraid I got caught up with my other property Marsh Hall.   The ideas were coming thick and fast so of course I just had to get on with it!

I did, however, managed to do some work on Netherton but it's been slow as I had to remove my Scottish Baronial head and replace it with the Edwardian one in order to "get into the zone" - as they say!

The walls have been papered, doors/skirtings and cornices fitted and the lighting is in place.   The next job to tackle will be the curtains.

I am however having the great "chair debate".    As you may remember I couldn't find furniture I liked so created my own - a sofa and two chairs.    Then I bought two chairs.    Now I'm trying to make a decision on which chairs to use.    It just goes on and on!

Here is a photo of the sofa with two matching chairs -




Or two co-ordinating chairs -




I'm after a more homely atmosphere than that of a stately home and I've had all those chairs in and out so often, they should be on elastic!

10 comments:

  1. Though all chairs look very fine, I think I like the combination in the last picture the most...it's less static, a bit more elegant. It's a lovely sight with the lights switched on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question Irene! I can see why you are not sure. I like both. The matching set seems like the sort of furniture you would have in a lounge or smoking room, so more for comfort. The co-ordinated look is lovely too (and usually the sort of look I use), and I can imagine a chess game set up on a table between the two chairs, but it does look more formal and less comfortable. Potentially you could set the chairs up against the wall, with a table between, and have the matching sofa set arranged in the middle as you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Irene! I like seeing more of this project too! I prefer the Old fashioned set of chairs with the sofa because the others look to "homogeneous" in my opinion! I would be tempted to try two sofas, one on either side of the fireplace, and the pair of chairs in the foreground with the table on the side (maybe two matched tables).... I know, it means making another sofa! But I think the pair of sofas is a more modern configuration too... I am sure you will figure out just what you are looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Irene,
    I really love both options in that beautiful room. I think the matching set looks just a bit heavier in the room...not in a bad way, I just feel the chairs make the room feel larger. It really depends on the feel you want for the space. The set feels more cozy, the chairs feel a bit more formal. I can't wait to see which ones you choose.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Irene!
    I agree with Giac that in your current grouping, the matching chairs to the sofa make the arrangement a bit more congested, but also they tend to fade into the background too! The wood framed chairs make the room feel lighter and also provide more contrast against the light colored wall.
    It will also make a difference if you plan on having a tea or coffee table in front of the sofa, which will change the traffic flow.
    Betsy's suggestion about two sofas facing each other could also be tried by arranging the 2 club chairs side by side with a small table in between and placing them across from the sofa to see if you prefer that balance instead.
    I know that there are a number of different choices that HAVE to be made so try as many as you can, but chose what YOU Like Best! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see why you can't make a decision. I think it will depend on what you're going to add to the room. However I quite like the two framed chairs because the rooom looks less crowded.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Irene,
    I would go for the wooden chairs. The side table painted in the same color as the chairs. A small coffee table in front of the seat.
    Greetings Dorien

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, Irene! You have a beautiful bright room. Very comfortable room. The choice is complicated and I agree with the previous comments. I look forward to the continuation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Irene, sorry I'm so late.
    I like them all but I think I prefer the comfortable armchairs and sofa.
    The sofa and table look great in the centre of the room.
    Si

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to be your grit in the oyster.... I like the mix of seating.... the wooden chairs and sofa BUT if you want an Edwardian feel I would either change the table to something simpler or change the chairs to simpler armchairs - think the three of them are shifting the time period. How much do you want it fixed in time? They could, of course, have some nice earlier French pieces to mix with their 'modern' stuff.... life is difficult.... and I am no help. M

    ReplyDelete