Thursday, 15 June 2017

A little bit of this and a little bit of that.

Firstly, a big thank you for all your lovely comments regarding my last post.    I found myself smiling every time I read one.   It really is encouraging to know that you like what I'm doing.

For Daydreamer - I really like your idea of a drying rack for cloths in The Still Room and I intend investigating that and putting one in.    Also, with regard to the Dumb Waiter - it's just a fixed backing and a shelf placed at Basement and Dining Room level.   I can't get a good photo of the one at the end of the Servant's Corridor but here it is outside the Dining Room.   They're identical.


I think I must have been a bit too keen to get the last post up there because I forgot to say anything about my "fourth wall"!

I like to decorate the inside of the doors as it gives more scope to add things I may not have space for in the rooms themselves.

This is the inside of the door at the Still Room


I would love to have had the space for a "Cold Store" but don't so I created the item on the left with the brick piers and stone slab as a "Cold Preparation Area"    The central item is a vegetable bin with a piece of "slate".   (I saw this item in the basement of a stately home we visited some time ago and I took a sneaky photo!   Metalcote paint was used to get the look of "slate").   The cabinet next to that has tins and various stores - still  to be added to - and the meat safe is up there because I couldn't think where else to put it for the time being!

The inside of the Kitchen door -


I think I've shown this before but not with the accessories.   Again, I would love to have squeezed in a lamp room but couldn't so this unit serves the purpose with lamps, candles and bulbs with lots more to be added.


A closer look at the right hand side



I love this sign.   It was "borrowed" from a Stately Home Guide Book.


Another little addition, this time in the Dining Room.   I felt there was too much brown in the original photo so I added a tablecloth.




............and finally.    A decision has been taken regarding the furniture in the Drawing Room.   I'm going with the club sofa and chairs.    I fiddled with this for ages before settling on the layout.  


There's still a fair bit to do (including changing the colour of the table) and lots more accessories to add (to relieve all the brown) but I think I'm happy with this set up.   Thank you all again for your very helpful suggestions.










11 comments:

  1. Love, love love.
    I'll bring my selfie stick next time I'm over to photograph the hard to get to areas.
    It's all so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, that tablecloth was just the right touch. All of the scenes are marvelous! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Table cloth is perfect, brightens everything up. Maybe something similar with the club chairs and sofa? I like the shapes but the room looks very bottom heavy in brown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way you've decorated the inside of the doors, adding interest and depth to the space. I also admire your creativity in using smaller spaces as "stand-ins" for the rooms that you can't have, while still preserving the function of the original room. The Dining Room has turned out beautifully, and the white tablecloth does add that extra bit of brightness. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished Drawing Room - you're off to a good start!
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Irene!
    One of the features which distinguishes your work and sets it apart is your dedication to adding the infill to the unseen spaces. Closets, dressers, desks, cupboards, drawers, boxes, larders, etc, all have the appropriate accruements stored inside them. This minute attention to detail I find incredibly INTERESTING and I feel that it lifts your work to an even Higher level! Bravo!!!
    Also I have to say that the new tablecloth looks Wonderful on the dining room table. It sets off the china and silver and gives a Greater elegance to the general atmosphere of the room. ♡ a Very Good Call!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks great Irene, loving all the little details. The tablecloth really makes the difference in the dining room, adding elegance and light.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonjour Irene,
    ce qui est formidable c'est tous les petits détails qui rendent votre maison si vivante. J'adore le coin "froid" dans la cuisine et très bonne idée d'avoir mis une nappe, cela éclairci le pièce et le rend plus élégante.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love everything. What I like is the way you add so many details, it makes your house so real. The tablecoth makes all the difference.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Irene,
    Your rooms just keep on getting better. The accessories are fantastic. I love the effect of the tablecloth. it really changes the room. sometimes it takes so little to make such a big impact.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like everyone else I think the tablecloth is genius - incredible how something so obvious/mundane/disregarded can make a huge difference. Like you I am not happy with how all the brown furniture joins itself up in a room making for an overall brown feeling. Your fourth walls are a joy in themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Irene! I agree with all... the tablecloth makes an amazing difference! It makes everything look so polished and perfect! The club chairs with the sofa look cozy already.... pull up the decanters and the newspapers please! LOL! And the way you accessorize all your houses is so much fun to see.... no detail too small and perfection the result! The insides of the doors are a perfect place to add so much that would be lost or invisible farther into the rooms. And I am looking forward to seeing what you make in the way of cloth racks..... As usual it is so much fun to see what you build!

    ReplyDelete