Saturday, 4 February 2012

A very warm welcome and the next stage.

First of all, I'd like to wish all followers of Small & Stately a very warm welcome. I'm really pleased to see you all here and hope you like what I do with this property.


The next step, after dealing with the basement was to add some decoration to the exterior.   As I've loosely based the overall look on the Georgian buildings here in Edinburgh I was aware that they are not that highly decorative but I felt I had to add a little something to break the plain look of the frontage.   I did this using plaques which I hope come across as simulating carved stone.


These were purchased from a variety of sources including Sue Cook.


The windows were next to be altered.   I didn't like the way the trim had these little overhangs so I cut them off.   They were then (all 30 of them) painted, sanded and painted again.



Now that the exterior decorative details had been dealt with, the whole property had to be given a base coat of emulsion then painted and I chose a cream coloured textured paint.   The stonework in Edinburgh is by no means that light but the colour goes well with the decor in the room it stands!


7 comments:

  1. Hello Irene!
    Nice embellishments. Those details add a great deal to the exterior. I like the paint/texture you did. It looks like stone. Well done
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Irene, I love the details you have added - more is most definitely more!
    I know what you mean about the external colour. The cream is a good "foil" for pretty much anything you want to add, and like you say, it helps reduce the impact of the house on the room in which it stands.
    I bet you have a ton of Posts all lined up, ready and waiting... I'm ready and waiting for them
    Have a great weekend
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha Simon! Yes I have. Loads.

      When in Edinburgh have you seen The Georgian House?

      Delete
  3. I too love the details you added.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Irene,

    what a lot of work to cut and sand 30 windows. The extra details are lovely and really add interest to the out side.I particularly like the thistle, is that a Scottish emblem?

    As Simon said ( put your hands in the air....lol ) I bet you have quite a few posts up your sleeve, I'm looking forward to them all.

    ML Fi X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Fi, The Thistle is the emblem of Scotland. In fact, if you're interested, I did a little post on my Tenement blog on how it may have come about: http://the-tenement.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2010-08-12T10:09:00%2B01:00&max-results=7 Just scroll down.

      Delete
  5. Irene the details you have added look perfect, great work!! and the windows do look better now you've changed them, well worth the effort!!

    Andy xx

    ReplyDelete