Happy New Year!
I've been using my time over the holidays to finally finish off the Butler's Pantry. This was the sneaky peak I gave you all some time ago and things have certainly moved on from there.
Before the Butler returns to his room, I can now show you around. This is where the room is situated - next to the Laundry. It's a long narrow space measuring 6.5" (16.51cms) wide by 16" (40.64cms) deep and 8" (20.32cms) high.
Going round the room, from the left there is his green apron, worn when polishing the silver. I made his desk (originally it was created for the Housekeeper but I felt it fitted better in this room). There are little pigeon holes that will soon hold post (when it arrives), his Cellar book (from Dateman Books), a letter opener and pen/ink well by Danny Shotton, and a little cup of tea.
The notice board (my creation) has paid accounts, a couple of postcards from holidaying servants and a staff photograph.
This is an earlier photograph taken when it was still quite easy to get into the room to take any shots showing the "lead lined" sink (another of my creative moments) and shelving made using offcuts of cornice with hooks added.
At the far end of the room is the key board - another item I put together using all the spare keys you get when buying locks! That space had been bothering me for ages and was partly the reason for not finishing this room earlier. Then.......I sat back during the holidays to watch the recorded Christmas episode of Downton and there they were - a key board and a green felt notice board - problem solved!
To the right of the room is a drawered unit with a linen press, lamp and assorted wines/champagnes. The post box came from Mollysue Miniatures and the clock is from Small Wonders Miniatures. I actually bought two clocks (the other is for the kitchen) and they're made from old buttons and are the perfect size.
Another fab thing purchased from Small Wonders was this little box of bits. As you can see, it's just the sort of thing any man would have tucked away "just in case", even the Butler of Netherton!
The drawers contain linen cloths/napkins and scissors and cash. I'm on the look out for more little items (especially a cash box so if anyone knows who has/makes cash boxes, I'd love to hear) to put in the drawers - there are three altogether.
A couple of photos with the lights on -
I've shown this picture in an earlier post but have included it again as it's the fourth wall of the Pantry showing the Brushing Station. As it's the inside of the door, it covers both the Laundry and the Pantry so I've tried to decorate it with items that would suit both spaces although there are still some items to be bought/created.

















I was just going to say that this lovely room would suit Mr Carson down to the ground but you've obviously been getting inspiration from Downton Abbey =0)
ReplyDeleteI haven't seen any cash boxes, however 'A miniature marvel' do 12th and 24th scale hinged first aid boxes that could be repainted.
http://www.aminiaturemarvel.com/search-results.asp?searchtext=box
Hi Irene! What a fascinating tour of the Netherton's butler's pantry. What wonderful little moments of captured time you have included with such great effect! I am also loving the notice board with the staff photo and the postcards from the vacationing staff members! I saw that this was quite normal for Real Life below stairs activity, but to have remembered to include it in your mini butler's pantry is ingenious! The little keyboard on the back wall is not only practical but a clever idea to fill that space with purpose. The fact that the drawers are being filled in your storage units, thrills me to bits and I applaud your research and desire to go to the next level with your projects! I have totally enjoyed my visit! :D
ReplyDeleteelizabeth
It looks fabulous Irene! You can almost see Carson wondering in and out!! The keys board is ingenious and fills the space perfectly! If you didn't know you would be hard pressed not to tell they weren't pictures from a NT catalogue! xx
ReplyDeleteIrene simply stunning! It's so hard to believe that this is in miniature - it's so life like and all the little touches just add to,it :)
ReplyDeleteYou ought to feel very proud because you have done a splendid job on this house thus far. The details are incredible for such a tiny size down to the man gadget box! I truly enjoyed this post!
ReplyDeleteLove love love!!!
ReplyDeleteThe last couple of pictures look amazing, Irene, well done - so realistic. And all the details are perfect. I can't believe what a great job you've done with such an awkward space - small spaces scare me because I never know quite how to handle them but you've encouraged me to give it another try.
Best wishes
Simon
¡Hola Irene!
ReplyDeleteMe encanta la casa que estás consiguiendo. La cantidad de detalles encantadores,hacen que parezca realmente un hogar.
¡Un abrazo enorme y enhorabuena!
Wow, Irene, you are Amazing! You have such an unerring eye for what is needed in your rooms!!! And you are the most dedicated collector of all those little bits that make for the realism in your buildings! That little oddments box is just Perfect!!! Not to mention all the other little touches.... I am always so impressed with your work! Keep up the Fantastic collecting!!! It is so much fun to look at your rooms!
ReplyDeleteYour room is quite wonderful, it's like looking in a history book. You have a special ability to find the most amazing miniature. I love your oblong tray table, your wine holder, well it all. very complete.
ReplyDeleteHugs
Wyrna
I love these work spaces. So much to look at and so many interesting little touches to discover. The green felt notice board is a wonderful addition, it brings the story to life. I have not seen the Downton Christmas episode yet, I think it is time for me to sit down and 'study' soon ;-)
ReplyDeleteJust love the additions, the keys and noticeboard.
ReplyDeleteGreetings
Hello Irene,
ReplyDeleteYour attention to detail is mind blowing! The butler's pantry is just fantastic. I love the des and all the period appropriate details, but the lead lined sink is fantastic. The room looks perfect.
Big hug,
Giac
Dear Irene
ReplyDeleteHere in Italy, we see tonight the last episode of the third series and I'm already heartbroken, because I read a preview ...
I literally love the story of this family, both upstairs and downstairs, and I find that to be inspired from the setting of Downton is at least natural.
Everything is perfect, under the supervision of Mr. Carson, and you have found excellent solutions to reproduce the room in miniature :-)
Could you kindly explain to me what are the "pigeon holes"?
Intrigued me :-)
I embrace you with affection, and I apologize for my long absence. I am overwhelmed by everyday life (and unfortunately I do not enjoy the assistance of a butler and a housekeeper; I tried to convince my husband that married women should have breakfast in bed, but he is a modern type, and has not got the message)!
However, I have expressed the intention to be more present in this new year :-)
Lovely hugs,
Flora
Hi Irene! I am loving all those precious mini collectibles you have acquired and which complement so well the historical period of the room. It must have taken a lot of thought and planning to get just the right look and fit and you certainly have succeeded! Everything is where it should be. It was such fun to enlarge the photos and examine all those wee treasures you so painstakingly researched and acquired! The room is an absolute success!
ReplyDeleteHappy New year to you too dear Irene!
ReplyDeleteYou've done a great job in this room, everything is perfect. We can see the butler living in this room. I amire how everything as a reason to be there.
Geneviève
Lovely work. I hope to have a butler's pantry as well in my house. Thanks for sharing your wonderful work, I especially love the lined sink.
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year Irene! You have done an amazing job! Such wonderful detzils! And I have to laugh because I had my eye on that little box of odds and ends from Small Wonders and then SOMEBODY BOUGHT IT! I'm ever so glad it was you! And it looks just right in the pantry!
ReplyDeleteHope you had a good Hogmanay hen,
Jonquil
It all looks great Irene, superb job!! x
ReplyDelete