Tuesday, 23 February 2016

The "Other Room"

I deliberately didn't mention the third space in the Upper Hall in my last post - next to the Servant's Corridor/Housemaid's Closet - because I wanted to give this next room a post of it's own.

What could be so different about this room, you may be asking?    Well, I decided (just for fun and to make things a bit more interesting) I decided Netherton should boast it's own Strong Room.

First of all, it had to have a security gate.



It's made from (I think) a laser cut framework and painted with my favourite Metalcote paint.

The walls were shelved and green baize was applied (to protect the silver of course).   



I had been collecting various bits that I thought may be suitable for storage in this space for quite some time but the most impressive item just has to be the silver Monteith given to me at Christmas by my sister, Valerie and made by Stephen J Randall.


Other "valuable" items stored here comprise a variety of plates, dishes, cloches, decanters and candlesticks.




I bought the cutlery box ages ago at one of the Miniaturas and have been holding onto it for this very purpose since then.



Other items of interest - and which will not be seen anywhere else - are the Honours of Scotland.     Yes, you may all think they are at this present time housed in Edinburgh Castle but they're actually here, in Netherton!

The Stone of Destiny, upon which all Kings of Scotland were crowned, and which had originally been kept at Westminster since the 13th Century, was stolen and brought to Scotland in 1950, then sent back to Westminster and has since been returned to Scotland again in 1996 where it is on display in Edinburgh Castle.     Or is it?  




Netherton also has the privilege of housing the Scottish Honours (Crown Jewels).



The chest of drawers will eventually hold jewellery and important documents.


And finally, the completed Upper Hall (by day and by night) -









* You can read more about the Honours in an earlier blog post here Honours

15 comments:

  1. Oh Irene, a strong room....fantastic, I love it. You are truly an outstanding woman. The room is just genius and the metal sliding security gate is perfect for protecting all things valuable....and Scottish!
    The strong room is a wonderful addition to Netherton...did I say I love it!!!
    All the best
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a fantastic idea. I love the strong room full of all those treasures. Wonderful pictures.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic Irene! What a great idea! Lots of treasures already in the store which are all beautiful. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Irene,
    That is such an amazing use of the space. It really is a very grand feature to have in a miniature house. The gate is gorgeous and the lined shelves are fantastic. I love this room. Well done Irene.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooohhhhh.... Absconding with the Crown Jewels are we??? LOL!
    Your Strong Room is such a Fantastic idea!!! The items you have collected and saved to display there are just perfect! That Monteith from your sister is very impressive indeed! As is the cutlery box... and all the "crown jewels"! This room is such a wonderful addition to your already well-appointed house! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I agree. This room needed it's own post. It is so elegant and regal in its design and purpose. Lovely to look at. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! It's so great to see a room we don't see often, not to mention a change to the usual attic rooms. I won't tell them you have The stone, if you don't ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an excellent idea to have such a room! Perfect t display exquisite miniatures and treasures. I enjoy a lot the fact that you added a Scottish touch.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Irene this is absolutely perfect. I would just love to be in the rooms wearing white gloves! Love the Scottish Honours and Stone of Destiny and a strong room. Years ago I worked for an Architect who designed a house in Scotland with a strong room :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. With such a collection of valuable items it is just as well you have got a strong security gate in front of the door. I always suspected the Honours of Scotland in Edinburgh Castle were copies and now I know... Love the collection and the Strong Room!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Un'altra ideale geniale ....la stanza blindata ....super!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Recently reading about the Honours not being the actual ones - the originals having been hidden and lost???? Now we have the answer as to where the originals were hidden. How brilliant is that. Anyone looking at your house is going to have such fun opening this and that and discovering all the 'put away' stuff. Just brilliant. Marilyn (Love the silver)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Irene! Only YOU could pull something as Great as this, Off!!!! I am so impressed by how you have collected so many Beautiful items and created a special space to showcase them without sacrificing the believability of your story. AND I had no idea that the STONE OF SCONE had made those back and forth journeys until now, but I can see that it is in "Safe Keeping" here at Netherton. :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  14. This strong room is fantastic, such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete